Donta Hightower

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanfanatic, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansAC4

TitansAC4 Starter

I'm not crazy about throwing away huge money to an ILB. I would prefer to sign 2 corners over an ILB(I believe they will sign 1 regardless). If they did sign 2 CB, that would allow them to go after Foster if they wanted. Wouldn't be too upset, but I think money could be spent elsewhere.

2. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

He's a free agent therefore the Titans should sign him.

• LOL LOL x 1
  3. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Hightower had one of the best coverage grades AND one of the best pass rush grades in the league last year. Happily we're both right :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Zack3000

Zack3000 Special Teams Standout

I just want a ILB that will command the defense. Make the other offense account for..

the more I think about it. I wouldn't be upset with giving hightower a front loaded contract drafting foster a 5 if shoulder checks out.

I believed in Williamson at first. But I don't feel like he took over the position or defense like a middle linebacker should.

5. kenny

kenny Starter

That's one thing I question...... How much does he want to be back???
    I know it is a winning team; with a chance at a repeat SB in the near future. A great HC & QB helps as well.

HOWEVER, he has repeatedly said, "I do not like the cold." He skipped the victory parade in Boston saying, "I played all year in the cold. I am done with the cold. I've had enough of it." It's not exactly constant sunshine & 70 in TN; but it is one heck of a lot better than the temps in NE during the season.

He has won his ring. Sure any player would want another. However, now I believe he has other priorities he is putting first. Most likely getting PAID is at the very top of that list. As vocal as he has been about not liking cold weather; I am sure a better climate is high on his list too.

TN could actually be a legit contender for his services....The no tax on income is a bigger selling point than many give it credit for... We are actually considered on the way up for once. We have a Franchise QB. Most of all; we have plenty of cap space to offer him a good contract.

6. kenny

kenny Starter

I do not think Williamson is that guy who will lead the defense. He will be a serviceable ILB with better players around him IMO. He just will not be that great force or commander in the middle the team needs. A guy like Foster or Hightower would be a completely different beast than what we currently have. Williamson is not good in coverage, he does rush the passer decent from the ILB spot. He had 5 sacks last yr & 2 or 3 this yr IIRC.

Who wouldn't like to have a guy like Hightower?????? He is one of the best ILBers in the league right now. I do not know that his price tag makes him as attractive as a guy like Foster. We cannot know how it will turn out with Foster's medicals. That makes it hard not to want Hightower. We have needed ILBer help for a while. Almost as long as the secondary. When one of the top performers at a position of need hits the market; it has to be a serious consideration.

If Foster's medical question marks turn out to be nothing concerning; then he is honestly the best option. Much cheaper, younger, and an explosive play maker who can cover. Is 5 too early to take him with the medical questions???? If you pass at 5 you likely do not get him. I do not see him being there at 18.....

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. rekirts

rekirts Starter

Interesting. Still think hes best as a run stopper + blitzer but any bonus in coverage would be great.

I think he'd fit the scheme great, personally I think he'd take over Williamson's role though. Which would be fine to me.

8. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I ultimately can't see the Titans paying this guy what it'll take to snag him.

9. kenny

kenny Starter

I would be shocked if TN paid out the cash to bring him in as well. However, since JRob arrived; there have been interesting/shocking things happening in TN. Finally they are GOOD interesting/shocking things; instead of ignorant Webster shocking things.

Who knows; in year 2 JRob could just sit back & watch during FA. He could break the bank. Really it is part of the excitement for me. It has been so long since we have had a decent GM; it is interesting to think about what may come. With only 1yr, in a rushed off season where he & the HC were both hired, he made some nice moves. It's still too early to speculate as to what kind of decisions he will make. It's fun to do so; but we really do not have enough information to make good assumptions.

I do know that I am ready for the new league year to open; so we can see where he leads us. Thus far, he has my trust. He did not make any Webster type decisions last year. That is one heck of a step in the right direction IMO.

10. kenny

kenny Starter

The one big area I am watching this year (As I am sure we all are) is the secondary. We absolutely MUST fix the secondary before we will be able to take the next step forward IMO. It has been such a huge disappointment for so long; it has to be a huge priority. I am sure JRob will approach it intelligently. You can't just throw $$$ at it & hope for the best. It has to be the right money & the right guys. FA or the Draft, most likely both; it is the one spot that needs the most attention IMO.

I am very excited to see how he addresses it this year. Last year he had too many glaring holes to fill. This year there are still holes; just none as glaring as that secondary IMO. WR & ILB are bigger holes that need attention, but I cannot see them being more important than fixing the bleeding in the secondary.

Address them all; but please Lord, fix the coverage.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar