Does Munch Have The Guts To Fire an Old Friend? (OL)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Hammer, Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Both Munch and Bruce met with him and worked him out. If you believe the reports, they both loved him and wanted him BADLY. They made it sound like they would have killed Webster had he passed on him.

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

The problem is last year our troubles were blamed on subpar players so we went out and upgraded the OL, yet the problems remain the same. How many times do you replace the workers before you replace management when things aren't working?

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

fair question

but clearly the interior OL was pretty real turrible last year and they needed gone

Know who else was pretty real turrible? :cj:

yet the mighty midget keeps getting the rock

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I think Warmack will be fine long term. Stewart is hurt and hasn't even been practising.
    Turner is the weakest link in a group that has a rookie and an injured player on the right.

Different bodies on the line but Center is still the weakest link. I'm happy to see Fizterception get killed on every out there and I'd rather see Schwenke take his first lumps with #4 behind him rather than Locker.

Quite a few issues on the line but one negative thing that we do know about Munchak and Matthews is that they are slow to make changes even when an abysmal players like Amano and Turner are involved.

Loggains was gradually opening things up for Locker which I liked so I'm not ready to blame him for our offences issues now. He's handicapped by zero running game has the opposing teams 12th man at QB.

This is all the more frustrating because the Defence is playing so well that we only need a little offense to be in a position to win. Bye week can't come soon enough for me.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

What bothers me about this post is that it isn't necessary to "blame" anybody for anything. It isn't Matthews fault for the players executing, but it IS his RESPONSIBILITY. How well the line performs IS an indicator of the QUALITY of the job Matthews is doing as a OL coach. And his unit is sucking and bringing the team down. His unit has been allocated a disproportionate allocation of personnel resources.

And it is a bit disingenuous to suggest that all of a sudden Levitre is not adequately preparing with film study etc and that his "technique" has suddenly gone to crap. Even as such, how can you possibly excuse the person (Matthews) whose responsibility it is to monitor, correct and/or make personnel adjustments necessary to get the OL performing.

The mark against Matthews is that the line continues to suck despite being given new personnel. There simply is no way to excuse Matthews from the responsibility of OL's lack of performance. "Blame" has nothing to do with and is just inflammatory rhetoric in that context.

6. TitanJeff

I think you have to watch them play. The stuff I saw when studying two games were Turner and Warmack being 85% of the problems with missed blocks/being man-handled. It happened occasionally with Levitre but it's not a problem, IMO.

After you watch Turner/Warmack play, you then need to evaluate whether or not their lack of execution is based on something coachable or if it's simply a lack of ability by the player. In Turner's case, so far, he's been overmatched, IMO, by some good DTs. No coaching is going to overcome that.

In Warmack's case, coaching is going to be a major factor in his development. But do you blame Bruce when the kid only has six NFL games under his belt? Doesn't he deserve a full season to gauge his development?

Don't forget Big Country isn't 100% either and isn't practicing during the week. Think that has any impact for Warmack not getting to practice beside the guy he plays next to on game day? I do.

Are you guys wanting to fire Bruce now? I think it's totally premature. If we can't look back at the end of the season and say the OL was a strength, then I'm okay with letting him go though, most likely, it'll be an indication the entire team did poorly and Munch will be fired (taking Bruce with him).

7. TitanJeff

If I'm the greatest sandwich maker in the world but am only given chit to make a sandwich with, guess what'll happen?

BTW, I don't see Levitre as the problem here. I'm not really sure why you think his play has declined so much. From what I've studied, he's still playing well. I didn't study him while with the Bills but the scouting report on the guy was his pass blocking was much better than his run blocking and I think we're seeing the same thing now.

The problem, IMO, is Turner/Warmack. Turner isn't starting material. Warmack has six games under his belt.

If you want to fix something, you find the reason for the failure. Firing Bruce, right now, doesn't do that, IMO, because Munch is also seeing every play and has the ability to share his input (which, from what I've read, he does). So, if you want Bruce gone, you probably want Munch gone as well.

The logical next step for anyone who wants Bruce gone is to ask "who do you want to replace him?" It's mid-season which eliminates all current NFL and college coaches. So we're looking to dip into the retirement pool for someone like Mike Tice?

So, who do you want that'll step in, right now, and turn this OL around?

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Did you guys see Munchak's face when the reporters were asking about Bruce Matthews? Munch looked like he wanted to kill the guy asking questions LOL

9. TitanJeff

I personally think Munch would resign before firing Bruce. That kind of loyalty is rare these days.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

So are playoff wins around here.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar