DE LaMarr Woodley visiting today

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Puck, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

2. zackmann

zackmann Guest

i think he would be a good 2nd round choice...

3. Architect

Architect Pain Train

It would take an at least decent DC to utilize his talents in a 4-3 D

4. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I like Woodley. If we don't go DE in 1, he is definitely someone we will look at in 2. Probably gone by our pick in the 3rd.

5. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

Good stuff, I think Woodley would be good for us. I really like him a lot.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

what is it with Jeff and these "tweener" DE's

I tell you what though
    after all we invested in DE's a few years back, it'd be nice to be patient on that position in the draft

I'm dreaming that Woodley can be had in the 3rd
    and we address DT in the second
    and if we are going to #30, then WR might be the best look there

everybody'd still get there DE / DT / WR, just maybe out of order

7. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I hope we trade up and grab Harrell if he lasts until early 2nd. That guy is a stud. I think most people underrate our need at DT. We have Haynesworth and Starks basically. When has that ever been a good combination in the past? We need a third body in there that's better than Starks. Starks is still young, so if he actually starts getting better, our future could be Starks and Harrell.

As far as pass rushing DE's go, I think Woodley represents a very nice value in the 2nd. I remember when he was in the conversation to go mid first round. 265-270 lbs isn't really that small for a DE in a 4-3. The main knock on him is that he is short. I don't really see the need to be tall at DE other than to get in the QB's way on screens, but really, with the size of OT's these days, they will get in the way more than the DE will. Height is vastly overrated. This guy can get to the quarterback as well as anyone else in this draft.

Also, I noticed that they said he was weak against the run. Looking at his numbers, he had plenty of TFL's and yet only this last year did he register double digit sacks. How does that work out? It seems like he was pretty good against the run as well to get those TFL's. Maybe someone that saw more Michigan games can clue me in on this.

8. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I like Turk McBride in the 3rd round if he's still there. He weas a tweener DE/DT and excelled at both. Could be a DT on passing downs and a DE on running downs or maybe he finds a niche at one position either way he would help solidify our D-Line.

IDK about Woodley yet im still skeptical. He's a high intensity, high motor guy that had a good season last year but was surrounded by good talent. He's not great at anything but pretty good at everything so I'm not sure if he has what it takes to be a full time DE. But 2nd round mmight betoo ealry for me and I doubt he's there in the 3rd. I think he gets turned into a LB in a 3-4.

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think he will be a 3-4 OLB as well.

Although I'm glad we are looking at him. He certainly was a playmaker in college. As was noted the only downside is his height, but what people miss is that he had a 38.5 vertical jump. Which is a good 3-4 inches better than any of the other top DEs. So he really isn't that short. Another key for DEs is arm length inorder to fight off OTs and to strip the ball. Woodley's arms are less than 1 inch shorter than Anderson's and less than 2 inches shorter than Adams.

I'd be happy to land him in the 2nd. He won't make it to us in the 3rd.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Our DTs..

Haynesworth
    Starks
    Brown
    Malwhoisyourmammaoona
    Long

Nothing wrong adding a quality guy into the mix. I have been begging to have us sign nick eason. He wouldn't cost much and he could compete with starks for a starting job. Even help out on run downs at DE. Ian scott is still unsigned. He did a decent job for the bears last year. Ethan kelly is another brown who is a RFA. Kelly would cost us only a 7th as compensation and he is a big run stopping NT type @ 320 lbs who could give us some size against the run.

None of these guys would cost much but i guess we are satisfied with what we got. Keep in mind that both starks and haynesworth will be UFA next year(08) if we can't sign them to new deals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar