David Givens settles Workers Comp Claim

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanium, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Talk about some sh!++y luck. Dude was a legit threat but when he had that freak injury you couldn't deny we were cursed when it came to FA WRs. Pickens and Thigpen were also both really good WRs right up until the point they put on a Titans jersey. Like I said, talk about some sh!++y luck.

I wouldn't call Nate the best FA WR we've had because while I feel he has done a good job I think he's overpaid. I have to say that Drew Bennett was our best FA WR. He's an undrafted FA QB who converted to WR. From 2004-2006 Drew caught 184 balls for 2722 yards with 18 TDs.

Another sign of the curse was when Drew left for the big money in STL, got hurt and never played again.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Why would the #1 label ever be used with Washington anyway? He was the #3 guy with the Steelers before coming here. He makes $4M a year that is not #1 money. The going rate for a #1 Wr is $8M and up. Washington makes half that.

As you said Washington has been reliable and consistent. He has been about what we should reasonably expect from him.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Givens was an average WR. The 700 yards he roughly averaged in his last 2 years with the pats was hardly stellar considering the QB.

Reche Caldwell had 760 yards the year after Givens left and he was cut the next year.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I would reasonably expect a person who earns $5k per pass comming his way to catch the ones that hit him in the hands

5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Because our receivers at that time consisted of Justin Gage, Lavelle Hawkins, and Chris Davis.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

regarding Givens, IIRC Titans signed him knowing he was nearly crippled and gave him huge $$$s anyway. GM should have been fired for that alone.

7. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Floyd Reese was a good GM for us... Of course, that's my opinion, but he did draft Steve, Eddie, and Keith amongst other great Titans.

Of course he also drafted Woolfolk, Pacman, and VY so who knows.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

like I said IIRC Givens was comming off surgery and Titans signed him anyways. Would suck if it was performance related bonuses, but really sucked cause it was just straight up overpaid bonus $$$s

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Here is an old article that explains how this thing got started.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4496837

Looks like the Titans blew this signing and if it is true Givens could have had surgery which would have allowed him to have a normal career prior to being injured as a Titan I still wonder what Given's value on the open market would have been. Givens was given a boat load of money despite the injury (5 yr-24mil contract, 8 mil signing bonus) which means he probably banked well over 10 mil while he was with the Titans.

He was a signing that should never have happened.

10. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Wow...I remember more about Pickens than I do about Givens. Forgot he ever wore the colors...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar