Cook loving Hernandez deal...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Yea that is ok then I think. If he does well good call on us. If he falls apart we release him.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

You mean, the other athletically gifted TE that Jeff Fisher couldn't figure out how to use?

Probably right.

3. Ewker

Ewker Starter

seems no one else could either considering he was out of the league 2 yrs after the Titans let him go...BTW he only played in 2 games in those 2 yrs

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I keep reading all this baloney about Cook running the wrong routes. Where does that come from?

Also, did anyone ever think about how good of a blocker Hernandez is (after all that is a criteria now)? As in he isn't. He didn't get that contract because of his blocking and there is probably even less of a chance he could ever play as a true in-line TE than Cook. Hernandez is less of a TE than Cook and is basically a WR.

Hernandez is also more of a possession receiver than Cook as in his YPC was 11.5 last year compared to Cook's 15.5. Not surprising since Harnandez runs a 4.64 40 (LB speed) compared to Cook's 4.49 (DB speed). Hernandez definately has a better feel as a WR and probably runs cripser routes but his upside is going to be what you see already. A possesion guy that hauls in 80 catches for about 1000 yards.

Cook on the other hand still has room to improve his route running where he can be more of a possession guy while still being able to occasionally break a long play. You also can't pin Cook disappearing in games entirely on him. Like Cook sucked last year but decided to really play a few games. The facts are they need to target him more often but there are only so many balls to go around.

Now put statistics in perspective. Tom Brady had over 5200 yards last year and hapens to be one of the best QBs of all time. The Titans combined total passing yards was 3900 last season. So assuming hypothetically that Cook was a Patriot he probably has closer to 65 receptions for 1000 yards. At least now you can compare apples to apples. I think Hernandez on the Titans would then be closer to 60 catches for 700 yards. Obviously this is hypothetical but it is reasonable.

So now Hernandez doesn't exactly look much better than Cook (remembeer, Hernandez can't block either). Better possession guy right now for sure but better overall? Not really. Granted Hernandez has two decent years under him. Cook caught only 29 balls in 2010. But I bet Cook would be a stud in NE this year and should be pretty good with the Titans but he will always have a tough time getting close to 1000 yards with so many other WRs he has to share with and we don't yet have a QB who can pass for >5000 yards.

With that said I'd try to re-sign him since I believe his best years are still ahead. Not sure what that will take. But he certainly isn't going to sign for peanuts. What is almost comical are some posters saying they think he will have a real good eyar this eyar but he isn't worth the money. So basically Cook is good but we would rather he play somewhere else? If they extend him now they should save some on what he will ask at the end of next year. Otheriwse he is gone unless we franchise him; assuming he has a solid year.

• High Five High Five x 5
  5. tnfan47

tnfan47 Let's Get It

Make a long story short, he's not worth hernandez money right now.

6. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Well said Soxcat

7. ToddTheTitan

ToddTheTitan GoTitans Homer

Uh, Frank Wycheck anyone?

Are you even a fan of this team? Serious question here.

8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

It's funny that people talk about what is probably the most crucial factor in assessing the development of Cook?

The Titans passed the ball 87% of the time when Cook was on the field in 2011. They passed the ball just 30% of the time when he wasn't. I don't remember, but I think that was the highest number in the NFL.

Cook's blocking is so bad that he literally cannot be put on the field for run plays. He is a huge liability in that sense. When he's on the field, defenses know exactly what's coming. That's really bad.

He'll be overpaid by some other team in 2013. I just don't see the Titans shelling out the cash to keep him, especially not with Taylor Thompson developing.

9. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Jared Cook is like a good 6th man in basketball with no true position. Even though Cook isn't a every down player because of his terrible blocking, I think he's still more valuable to the team than people give him credit for. TE's with DB speed and can line up at Wide are something that every team wants these days. He's 25, has improved significantly every year and last year had one of the best seasons for a TE we've ever had, so obviously he's not a bust like many called him. If we have to overpay a little, so be it, it's not coming out of our pocket lol. Plus, as many have suspected, I see Locker looking his way a lot.

10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I'm not a big believer in Thompson... I liked the pick because it was late in the draft and the guy obviously has a lot of potential.

I think he can be a good #2 TE for us, but nothing more.

It's obviously too early to write him off or crown him as the next Gronk as many have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar