Considering a MAC

Discussion in 'Gear' started by ammotroop, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Nope.

2. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Go to a Comp USA and look at the Mac dept's selection of anti-virus/net protection software... then go look at the PC dept's collection of protection software. See what can be deduced from this experience.

3. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

I assume you mean Compusa online....

4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

There are some stores left. Just saw one in Tampa on a biznazz trip..

5. avvie

What?... did they go under too?

There is (was?) a store in Honolulu, but I haven't been to O'ahu in a couple of years.

Hmm... just checked Wiki... closed 126 stores, including Hawai'i's. Didn't know that.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Avvie, why do you think PC users couldn't see your user title? I've seen it on at least three different PCs...

7. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

No, but that's not the only attack a Mac is vulnerable to. Malware and viruses are just ONE kind of attack and probably the most common.

Even though this article is old, it shows how OS X was compromised and a hacker gained root (administrator) access to a Mac in under 30 mins.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/securi...y_3pBA&usg=AFQjCNFYsWU2uz99QQg40YZCpOfAU0doOQ

Even though this article is old, it debunks the myth that Macs are the more "secure" than PCs and even though they are immune to Virus and Malware attacks, thats not to say they are not immune to other types of attacks.

The article also says what I've been preaching all along about Macs, but people don't seem to heed my warnings:

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

The font/ascii is included on OSX by default but not by stripped down windows installs.

9. avvie

It couldn't be seen from my PCs when I posted that... they can now. I imagine that a patch was updated between now and then. FWIW, Ubuntu sees it.

10. avvie

Dunno about that... maybe some morons who think things don't break aren't listening, but it's been pretty common knowledge that market share has been the primary defense against zit-faced losers who like f'ing things up for everyone. The thing is, only one or two viruses for OSX or Linux have been found in the wild, versus hundreds of thousands for Windows-based systems. That's still some pretty darn good odds.

A couple of things should be noted: Macs are still built by tiny little Pacific Rim'ers who get paid very little and eat tripe soup a lot. They are machines, and they will break over time just like any other machine. My defense of Macs has been over their OS; the machinery means nothing to me. As I may have mentioned before, my G5 died because of a capacitor plague caused by a Korean co.'s espionage gone bad, and it affected Dells just as badly.
    There are plenty of ditzes out there who hear that the OS is more stable and secure, and then assume that Macs never have any sort of technological failure... well, they're idiots, and idiots are- unfortunately- allowed to live in America. Macs break, and NOBODY... and I mean NOBODY... should buy a Mac without also buying the 3-year Applecare Plan. It is the ONLY service plan that I know of that I would ever recommend.
    When Apple was Apple Computers and trying to gain some market share, they did a really good job of making people like their company. Since becoming Apple Inc., they have made some eqsutionable decisions and policies. If they ever start acting like complete jackholes a la Microshaft, I will dump their sorry butts too. I have a Debian-based system standing by in case that happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar