Collins Wants to Make the Titans "His Team"

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: On Monday, Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said 35-year old Kerry Collins would be the team's #1 QB as long as the team was winning even after Vince Young returns from his knee injury. Collins now faces more pressure and responsibility, but said he has a plan to make the Titans "his" team. "First of all winning, that is the most important thing," Collins said. "Second of all, showing them what kind of leader I am going to be. Showing them what my preparation is going to be like and the approach I am going to take when Sunday rolls around. Ultimately you have to have guys believe in you and I feel like I've got support in this locker room and I appreciate that. But those kinds of things develop with time, and with games and guys seeing how you play and how you react. I am just excited about getting the chance."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I find it strange Fisher says Collins is in as long as the Titans are winning when that's what has been going on while Young was the QB. I believe "playing well" should be the standard for whether or not Collins keeps his job.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

I agree. This whole situation is a fuster cluck IMO. But seems like were making the best of it. I would like to see Collins come out and toast the texans for 300 to make a point. But who knows...

4. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

As long as KFC can pass as well as an average qb in thie league, the Titans will win. All of the tools are on this team. The qb imo is our weakest link. Used to be the db's. Not anymore.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Truer words never said Jeff. I read that quote and it rubbed me the wrong way from the get go.

6. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

me too. Not typical of conservative Fisher to bullishly say something like that.

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

now's the time for a Colonel sponsorship deal?

Although google says that the Colonel was born in Indiana.:
    eek:

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I think it was just JF buying time. It took pressure and focus off Vince in the short term, and sent a message to him as well. Realistically, it's not a hard bet that we're going to lose a couple of games. If Vince really is back and ready to play, he'll have a chance to be reinserted.

Yes, we were winning with Vince. But Vince bowed out, and so it's going to take a problem to get him back in there.

9. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

I see it like this: As long as KC isn't averaging about 2 turnover a game we will be winning. I think we have a sub par (at best) group of receivers but that is really irrelevant to our game plan. What we have is an outstanding 1-2 punch on the ground and as long as that's the case we don't need outstanding receivers. If the opposing D has to bring an eighth man into the box then any NFL level receiver is going to be able to get open against man to man coverage, we just need a QB who can deliver the ball accurately and on time, which I believe we have in KC, not in VY. I think that letting Collins start not only gives us the opportunity to win right now, it gives Vince the opportunity to watch and learn from a veteran QB playing in the same system, a chance he never had to begin with. Also, it sends the right message to Vince as well: this job isn't yours for the taking, earn it or lose it. I think making this move right now is not only going to help us win this year but it will help develop VY into a better QB so he can actually be the Franchise player we paid for in the future.

10. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Another thing this move does is determine whether or not these WRs are the ones that are going to be on the team later this year or next year. If they play well during this stretch, they take all the heat off of them and start putting more pressure on VY, not to mention silence all the detractors who think we should be going after every WR that pops up on the radar. The thing about this teams makeup, we don't rely as heavily on the passing game, so to spend a very high draft pick or big-time free agent dollars, is actually compounded because of the lack of involvement. If we can get the job done with the guys we have, granted not the gamebreaker everyone wants, we can address bigger areas of concern such as OLine, Dline secondary and Backers. Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar