Chris Johnson's getting too big for his britches

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dbc5631, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

"With my situation, you have to know who you are dealing with at the end of the day," Johnson said. "You are dealing with a team that is not known for [paying].''

This guy was nobody on April 25, 2008. The Titans take a chance on him and draft him ahead of his projected slot when everyone was entrenched with Lendale.

After signing in July of 2008 Johnson said....“I just knew that the organization and my agent were doing their job. That’s what I had him for,” Johnson said afterward. “I was just waiting, relaxed and ready to get here to camp and start working.”

If your agent did his job then shut up and be happy with the $12 Million you were happy with in 2008.

If CJ puts up another big year and stays healthy the Titans WILL make him the highest paid RB in the league. They did it for McNair, they'll do it for Johnson.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I was just coming here to post about this. CJ needs to quit running his mouth and just focus on playing for now. He took the reworked deal the Titans offered him so enough already. Start worrying about your "history deal" after the season. Here's the PFT article for those who haven't seen it.

I'm really starting to feel like CJ won't be a Titan for very long. It seems he's already dead set on getting the biggest contract ever for an RB/offensive player and unless he rushes for 2,000 yards again I just don't see the Titans giving it to him. And even if he does rush for 2K again I'm still not positive they would.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

"Shut up and be happy."

CJ didn't call a press conference to make these statements. I'd assume he was asked a question and gave an answer.

We complain about guys giving the company answer all the time instead of being real, except when it's inconvenient.

4. iQon

iQon Starter

What makes CJ any different from every other player in the league that outperforms his contract? Didn't Andre Johnson just go from a big rookie contract... to an extension 2 years ago... to ANOTHER extension for a measly 2 extra years and more guaranteed money last week?

Don't blame the players for saying "I want that, too"; blame the CBA and the owners who cry broke. It's a given CJ will not be here much longer if he continues to play well. No need for any Bud Adams apologists to defend that.

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

True. The difference here being that everyone already know how CJ feels. He's made it perfectly clear time and time again. While he may not have called a press conference to make these statements, what's so hard about saying something like "I'll worry about that next year. For now, I'm here and ready to help the team."? I can understand the guy trying to get what he can while he can. But that seems to be all he cares about. Ever since the 09 season ended he's come off as completely selfish.

Edit to add: CJ isn't putting any new information out there. He's just continually whining about how underpaid he is. It will only continue to serve as a distraction to the team. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a new contact. I'm saying he needs to get over it for the rest of this season or he should have never accepted the restructured deal.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Titans are pretty good at who they pick, how they sign the first contract and who they get rid of when it's time for a new contract.

We dont sign big time players demanding big money off the bat. we get low profile guys coach them up and make them really great players. by the time they are no longer able to perform at the elite level their contract is up and the players get mad cause they are older and never got the Big Money. then the whole league looks at the Titans and say they are cheap for not paying a player they made a house hold name. Titans made McNair, Made Eddie , Made Bulluck made CJ, made Haynesworth. etc.... and im sure we have young guys right now that will be made into pro bowlers that will be mad down the road when they dont get a huge contract. If Cortland gets better it wont be long til he starts up the hold out talks also.

7. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

Andre Johnson also played 4 years of his rookie contract. If CJ's bad mouthing the organization after year 3 I'd probably have his back.

The Titans did redo Finnegan after 2 years but we're talking apples to oranges money wise.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Not Chris Johnson's fault that Titans have that REPUTATION (all caps for Gunny).

That's two years ago. Last year he did something only 5 other people have ever done in the game.

In two years he went from nobody to the most well respected RB in the NFL.

That's why he wants money. If you are a player you really have to fight for your money in the NFL.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

He also just go extended 2 more years. Good move by the Texans to spend some money in this uncapped year.

Wish Titans would've shown that initiative.

10. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

The current CBA prevented the Titans from doing that for CJ. Where have you been?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar