Chiefs fire Edwards after 3 poor seasons (AP)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by eTitan81, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Agreed.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What were the expectations 0-16? You write as if they were 7-9 they were 2-14! An nfl team 2-14! and that is coming off a 4-12 season! Not acceptable!

In his coaching career edwards has lost 20 more games than he has won and is 2-4 in post season games. He had 3 seasons at kc to do things his way and change attitudes and each year the team has been worse.

He had a decent QB most of the year in thigpen. The cupboard was not bare at other offensive skill positions either with johnson, bowe and gonzales.

Not sure he "blew up the roster" his defense is loaded with high draft picks. 4 1st rd picks, 3 2nd rd picks and a 3rd rd pick on the defense.

The chiefs have 14 1st rd draft picks on the roster. 14!

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

When they ran The Chiefs on Hard Knocks a few seasons past, Edwards absolutely didn't come off like a guy who should be the head coach of a pro football team.. I imagine his HC days in the NFL are done..

4. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

I agree. He has put them into a position to really improve regardless of who the coach is. SOMEONE is going to walk into a pretty nice situation.

IMO in two years the KC Chiefs wil be a team to watch for. I don't think they are there this year though.

5. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Where the hell did you get that number from? I counted 7. http://www.kcchiefs.com/players/

They also had 19 rookies on their 53 man roster this year and 36 players with less than 3 years in the NFL.

My expectation was pretty much 0-16 and them not being able to compete week-in and week-out with the roster they had. They traded away their best player for additional draft picks before the season (Jason Allen) and it was clear that they weren't going to be in contention this year.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

don't look now but there's a chance that Edwards ends up being Indianapolis' DC.

'how you like them apples? :wink2:

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What has he done to do that? If there are talented players on that team then there is no excuse to lose that often. One of the most promising aspects of the team was thigpen's play. How is edwards responsible for that he only played thigpen because his other QBs were hurt.

No coach is expected to completely fail but carpy thinks that the chiefs were not supposed to win a damn game.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Let me be clear about something. To not fire herm edwards after a 6-26 record the last 2 years would have sent the hiring of black coaches back a decade.

There were 3 coaches who lost their jobs who won a hell of a lot more than herm edwards.

Eric mangini 2 winning seasons in 3 years.

Gruden 18 more wins than losses and a ring.

Shanahan 48 more wins than losses and 2 rings.

Compare that to edwards with 20 more losses than wins.

The botton line is that if edwards was allowed to stay after going 6-26 the last 2 seasons it would have sent a message to 32 owners and 32 GMs that if you hire a black coach you won't be able to fire him no matter how bad his team performs.

The bar has to be the same for everybody. If shanahan, mangini and gruden can get fired than anyone is fair game. Don't deliver on the field than say goodbye.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

SO...using your rationale....Fisher should be gone? Longest tenured head coach and no ring? Isn't that what ultimately matters to an organization? Championships?

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Fisher is sub .500? That's news to me... btw, RollTide might be the last person you want to ask that of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar