Campbell slides to fifth on depth chart

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

An Aliquippa, Pa., native, Titans cornerback Tommie Campbell is always excited to head back to Pittsburgh.

But he’ll return home this weekend with mixed emotions after losing out to Alterraun Verner in the competition for one of the Titans’ starting cornerback spots.

Campbell said he’s been knocked down to fifth on the depth chart at cornerback – which would place him behind the two starters, as well as nickel corner Coty Sensabaugh and rookie Blidi Wreh-Wilson.

“It’s exciting (to go home), but at the same time, it’s almost like I let my family and my kids down because I felt like I was going to win the job,” Campbell said. “I don’t know. I just wish I was playing. But I was told my role is going to be a special teams player and fifth cornerback, so that’s what it is.”

The situation was similar to what happened last season, when Verner and Campbell competed for the same spot. Campbell lost out and only wound up on the field for 68 defensive snaps in 2012, but had 253 special teams snaps. He just finished tied for fourth on special teams with nine tackles.

“It ain’t nothing to dwell over,” Campbell said. “It is what it is. It’s a very similar situation to last year. I ain’t gonna’ cry or complain over it. My opportunity will come and when it comes, I’m going to put all the effort out there that I can.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider
  2. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Defensive Coordinator

:shakehead: I didn't expect this. How the hell do you go from a possible #2 to #5?

Gonna be a rough year for the secondary.
    • High Five High Five x 3
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Guess it wasn't much of a competition after all.
    • High Five High Five x 2
  4. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

lol.
    • High Five High Five x 1
  5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE Tweet me @JCBRAVE

I still expect him to play CB at some point. Only a matter of time til Verner gets trashed in a half. Theres a place on defense for Campbell
  6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

There's no way Blidi should be ahead of him.
    • High Five High Five x 1
  7. Alzarius

Alzarius Starter

They wanted him to work out because of his measurables, but he sucks so they finally said screw it.
    • High Five High Five x 5
  8. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

He doesn't suck but he just wasn't ready for the job. I actually thought he didn't play too bad.

It sucks that he's an older player because younger guys, especially those drafted, are gonna get a shot over him in the future more than likely.
  9. GL2814

GL2814 Starter

I think his immaturity had a lot to do with him being bumped down to 5th. He has always had an attitude, and not in a good way.
  10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x Vote for Pedro

Ugh, our secondary will be trouble this year..