Bum Phillips dies

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nytitaner

nytitaner Starter

Been a fan since 79. he did it HIS way . SALUTE!!!!!!

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Luv ya Blue Bum. Great guy

3. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

RIP Bum, thank you for all that you did for this great game, you will be missed.

LUV YA BLUE

4. rodgev

rodgev Starter

"There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired."[3]
    "I always thought I could coach. I just thought people were poor judges of good coaches."[4]
    "I've never seen a hammer and tong game like that one."
    "The harder we played the behinder we got."
    "Mama always said that if it can't rain on you, you're indoors." (Explaining why he wouldn't wear his cowboy hat in a domed stadium)
    "Dallas Cowboys may be America's team, but the Houston Oilers are Texas' team."
    "I never scrimmage Oilers against Oilers...what for? Houston isn't on our schedule." (Source: The Book of Sports Lists)
    (To an official) "Hey, can I, can I tell you one thing? That's three holding penalties on one football team in a quarter and a half. (Pauses) That ain't funny."
    (To an official) "Now, you can't do that! If you do it, I'm telling you you'll have more hell over it than a little bit."
    (after playing the Steelers for the fifth time in two seasons and planning to meet them a sixth time) "The road to the Super Bowl runs through Pittsburgh, sooner or later you've got to go to Pittsburgh.[5]
    (20 years after playing Pittsburgh six times in two seasons) "Don't take long to spend all the time you want in Pittsburgh."[6]
    (referring to Miami Dolphins coach Don Shula) "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."[7]
    (referring to Houston Oilers quarterback Warren Moon) "That boy could throw a football through a car wash and not get it wet."
    (when asked about Oilers RB Earl Campbell's inability to finish a one-mile run in training camp) "When it's first and a mile, I won't give it to him."
    (when asked by Bob Costas why he took his wife on all of the Oilers' road trips) "Because she's too ugly to kiss goodbye."[8]
    "Last year we knocked on the door. This year we beat on it. Next year we're going to kick the son of a ***** in."[1][9]
    of Earl Campbell, "I don't know if he's in a class by himself, but I do know that when that class gets together, it sure don't take long to call the roll."[10]

Just a few quotes R.I.P to a great man

• High Five High Five x 5
  5. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

STATEMENT FROM TITANS OWNER K.S. “BUD” ADAMS, JR. AND THE TITANS ORGANIZATION

“We are very sad to hear of the passing of Bum Phillips. He meant a great deal to this franchise, the NFL and the city of Houston, and he was instrumental to the Oilers during the ‘Luv Ya Blue’ era. Growing up in Texas and working his way up through the Texas football ranks, he was a natural match for our team. Those were such magical years, and his leadership and personality helped our team rise to the top. He became an iconic figure on our sideline. Our thoughts are with his family, and we know he will be missed. “

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

6. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Love Ya Blue! Didn't watch the team until they moved to Tenn, but Bum holds a huge part of the history of the team.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Campbell/Bum Phillips Oilers were one of 2 teams that could BEAT the stoolers. The other was the Raiders.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. V-MAN

V-MAN I still believe

RIP Bum. You will be missed, but forever remembered.

9. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

Bum was the coach when I first started following the Oilers. BIG mistake by Adams to let him go.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. titantrusince82

titantrusince82 I'm down with the Titans for better or worse

W
    Well said!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar