Broncos & Bears agree on deal for Cutler

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by eTitan81, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Lol...

Plummer's D gave up an avg of 23.6 points per game. That is significantly better than 28 points per game! So his D wasn't as bad as Cutler's overall and in the final 3 games, was almost as good as any team's. Cutler's D was WORSE than everyone's...by far...over the last 3 games. That's comparable?

And Plummer LED his team to the playoffs? He threw 1 TD in those 3 games. How is that leading them to the playoffs?

Repeating yourself doesn't make the facts or stats change....

Gut

2. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

That's too outrageous of a scenario, nobody is going to throw 80 touchdown passes so I'm not even going to bother.

And I say mental toughness is a big part of being a good QB and he doesn't have mental toughness. Thus...

Besides, 10 points vs. Oakland... 19 points vs. Kansas City? Really, come on.

And I gave you Jake Plummer, took his team to the playoffs in his 2nd year (not 3rd which Cutler was in) and had no pro bowl receivers.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

let's make this simple...

this would be fine if I was Phillip Rivers or Jay Cutler talking to the media...but since I'm neither, I can talk about who ACTUALLY is to blame for the losses or who SHOULD get credit for the wins.

Simply answer this question...

QB X throws 5 TD's a game but his D avg's giving up 6. He has a 6-10 record for the year but sets NFL records in yds (6000), completion percentage (75%), yds per attempt (11) and TD's in a single season (80 TDs). He is voted league MVP and unanymous Pro Bowl selection. However, his team doesn't make the playoffs. Who's fault is it and who do YOU blame? The Hall of Fame QB because he plays the most important position and takes the heat when the team fails?

Sure this is an exaggeration...but that IS the point. If YOUR criteria in what makes a good QB (wins and mental toughness and making the playoffs) is valid, it should hold up! So do you think this Hall of Fame caliber QB is a good QB (a winner) or a loser? Would you vote a 'loser' with these kinds of stats into the Hall of Fame???

Gut

4. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I refuse to answer an impossible hypothetical question.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Ok...

Refusing to answer shows your theory is incorrect...so much so that even YOU don't believe it all the time...just when it suits you to trash a player you don't like.

But to make this more enjoyable...I'll make a more plausible scenario.

QB X throws for 4800 yds and 50 TD's with a completion percentage of 68%. His team goes 7-9 with a D that avg giving up 28ppg. The QB is awarded league MVP and goes to the Pro Bowl but his team doesn't make the playoffs.

Is this QB a good or bad QB? And why...

Gut

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Has it ever occurred to either of you that you won't change each others mind?

7. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Well yes that is much more plausible. But unlike you who is all about numbers, awards and accolades I actually just base my decisions on what I see. Without seeing this fictional QB of yours play I can't say. How many picks did he throw? How were his receivers? How was his kicker? How were his 4th quarter numbers? I could go on.

Fact is, there's 3 games (maybe 4) where Cutler as the QB HAD to win. You have to be able to beat Oakland and Kansas City. You also HAVE to be able to score and tie up the game against Buffalo and you need to score more than 10 points against Carolina. If your this great QB as you say Cutler is then you should be able to do at least half those things, Cutler did none of them.

8. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

my question to you eddyc is did you actually watch the video you posted on this forum? cutler put his team in a position to win. the ball was in stokleys hands and stokely dropped it, not cutler. yes, he threw a pic, but his d couldnt stop a pop warner team. if you are saying a qb is nothing because he throws a pic i would suggest you watch tennis or anyother sport that doesnt not really involve teams. football is a team sport. if the team fails, everyone fails. that is the way of the game. here, i will give you the meaning of american football so you know that it is a team sport. it says that it is in the second line.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football

cutler is a good qb. he made great throws in that game. he kept drives alive. and he ran in for 2 COUNT THEM 2 touchdowns. that is a guy who helps his team win. numbers dont mean everything in football. what you do for your team does. and he did everything he could.

9. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Cutler destroyed the Titans in '07 when we had a top 5 defense.

I'm not saying that this alone makes him a good QB... but maybe it can help you realize what he's capable of... if his defense can make plays, he'll probably win. Isn't he 12-1 when his team allows under 21 points?!

Defense wins championships... often stated; always true. You can have a high powered offense with a crummy defense and chances are you won't make the playoffs...

Let's see how many playoff teams gave up 28 ppg...
    1) Steelers - 13.9 ppg
    2) Titans - 14.6 ppg
    3) Ravens - 15.2 ppg
    4) Eagles - 18.1 ppg
    5) Giants - 18.4 ppg
    6) Colts - 18.6 ppg
    7) Dolphins - 19.8 ppg
    8) Falcons - 20.3 ppg
    9) Panthers - 20.6 ppg
    10) Vikings - 20.8 ppg
    11) Chargers - 21.7 ppg
    12) Cardinals - 26.6 ppg

Hmmm... that's weird! None of those teams gave up 28 ppg? So strange! Also, notice how the two teams with the worst playoff records were on the bottom of the list (8-8 & 9-7)? Yep!

And don't think about using the Cardinals as an example... they play for a garbage division. They stepped up in the playoffs defensively and that's why they made it so far... but, they honestly didn't deserve to make it with a 9-7 record.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Interesting...

Those numbers aren't plausible...they happened!

Did you watch every game and every play on offense of the Broncos for the last 2 1/2 years? I'm guessing since you're living on a Titans board, the answer is no. So how are you making a decision on everything you see when you haven't seen all of his games? It sounds lie you just catch game highlights and check box scores...hardly seeing the game.

And you're not about numbers? That's funny, you were the one who said he was a loser for having only 17 wins. You're the one claiming he's a loser because he couldn't overcome teams that scored 30 and 52 points. You don't bother to see how difficult the things you say he SHOULD be able to do are. How many QB's have thrown 8 td's in a game (what he'd have to do to beat a team that scored 52 on his D). The answer is ZERO! NO QB HAS THROWN THAT MANY TD'S IN A GAME IN NFL HISTORY...but you keep repeating he should have done it. How many QB's have you WATCHED who have done that? ZERO! You're the one claiming he's a loser because he didn't get his team into the playoffs...which is based off a number (of wins).

I give you a reasonable hypothetical and you don't want to answer it because it will make you look bad or destroy your own point.

He has a 4th qtr QB rating of 94. He threw 10 INT's. He had a good kicker (who cares). So is he a loser or a great player???

The FACT is that his team needed to win one of it's last 3 games. Cutler is one player. He doesn't score all of the points on offense and he can't do anything on defense. His D gave up 30 and 30 and 52. Forget the 52 cuz no one's gonna win that game no matter who the QB is. And teams have a very bad win % when they give up 30 or more points...again, no matter who the QB is. It was a team failure.

You like to point out a couple of weaker teams the Broncos should have beaten...has Manning ever had a bad game against an inferior opponent? Brady? What about when the Dolphins were absolutely terrible and had the 'honor' of playing the steamrolling Pats on MNF? The Dolphins won! All Brady's fault?

This is a team game. You can be Dan Marino and if your D is horrific, you're not gonna make the playoffs most likely. And you most likely won't put up your best #'s because you HAVE to throw the ball and the D is playing the pass 100% so they will get more sacks and more INT's than if you had a balanced offense and were tied.

You might notice that in 'watching' Cutler, you've only said the few negative things about him. Have you mentioned all the times he went beyond the call of duty to give his team a chance to win or what a great job in this and that game how he carried his team?

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar