Britt could face "lengthy" suspension.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Kaeotik, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Britt may have had a contract, but he had no benefits, health insurance, was not allowed in the facility(hi, pulled hamstring!) and was not allowed to talk to his employers.

I think the NFLPA has a good case to make for guys who were locked out.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

I definitely think the NFLPA will appeal any suspensions to players for actions during the lockout vigorously.

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Unfortunately for the Titans, he deserves it. The guy's as smart as a box of rocks.

I think so. As I've said before, when Kenny was out getting into trouble the headlines didn't read "Ex-NFLer Kenny Britt______" they read "Titans Kenny Britt ______". Regardless of whether or not they were technically employed at the time they were still very much representative of their respective teams and "the shield".

4. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

It will be interesting to see what happens with the appeals.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

That's the media though, it's not really relevant.

6. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

The whole idea of this appeal process to any suspension is not done in the court of public opinion. Whether the media called him an employee has no bearings on whether there's a legal precedent for a suspension like this. The only thing that actually DOES matter is whether he was "technically" employed, or legally employed.

You could easily argue he was not.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

LOL at the drastic predictions in regard to losses when Britt isn't playing. F'n guy barely shows up anyway. You can't miss a guy that hasn't been here yet. What's he had, maybe three impact games thus far?

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

My point though is that's the realistic perception. Not just by the media. If you asked a random NFL fan/player/coach/exec during the lockout who Kenny Britt is they would've said "that receiver that plays for the Titans". Not, "former Titans receiver". The bottom line is that when Kenny Britt gets into trouble it does indeed reflect negatively on the Titans, and the league. Lockout or no lockout. And that's what Goodell seems most concerned with... "tarnishing the shield."

9. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

I'm pretty sure fans are accustomed to a fraction of NFL players actin' a fool. Until a NFL player goes on a shooting spree and a 'one and done' rule is implemented concerning legal matters this carousel will continue to go 'round.

10. LurkerTeach

LurkerTeach Camp Fodder

I agree with the intent of what you're writing, in that you think and want the league and our team to have high standards and Goodell does too. But I think Britt and the NFLPA would have to willingly succumb to the punishment, because I don't think the legality of the contracts are going to allow Goodell to just force it through without any resistance.

And I think the reason why some fans have soured on Goodell is because they think he's heavy handed, and that some of the rules, and some of his enforcements have watered down the enjoyability (danger-factor) of the game. I personally think he has too much power on a socio-political basis, but that's opening up a can of worms unrelated to football. I do think people should be punished for their crimes, and Britt will be (if charges are filed and he is convicted, etc.) but if I'm laid off, and then rehired, my boss can't treat me bad for a speeding ticket I got in the interim.

I'll call two game suspension, Britt goes voluntarily, so it looks like Goodell is powerful and everyone else is playing "ball" on the same team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar