billy volek on sportsline

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nickel, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickel

nickel Guest

just saw hope hines say that volek will join neil o'donnel on channel 50 from 8-9 tonight, and that they will be taking calls

2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

so what was said

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

the suspense is killing me

4. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

Basically:
    -Neil O'Donnel said Volek got screwed.
    -Everyone that called said Volek got screwed
    -Volek just smiled and said "Thanks. I appreciate it." to the callers
    -He said he has asked for a trade or release but Reese hasn't returned Rosenhaus's calls.
    -More callers saying he got screwed (and that we should have never gotten rid of McNair).
    -Callers wanted an explanation from Fisher....fire Fisher...fire Reese, blah, blah, blah.
    -O'Donnell asked him how it went down. "Did Fisher call you in before a position meeting and tell you?" He said "I figured it out when Collins came in on the Monday practice and he got more reps, Vince's reps stayed the same, and mine went down. (He left it at that which made it sound like that was it. I have a hard time believing he and Fisher never had any conversation.)
    -He said Collins was a good guy and was put in a tough spot.
    -He took a little shot at the organization mentioning how they had treated players recently and how they had been good to him for the past 6 years FINANCIALLY.
    -Said Kansas City had contacted Rosenhouse.

-Nothing was ever mentioned about problems, arguments, etc....

I wish him well. I hope he gets traded and gets to play....but it was basically a Billy Volek love fest. I still have a hard time believing he and Fisher never had a conversation about this.
    I think Fisher remains quiet about this for many reasons including....if he comes out and says he sucks, has attitude issues, etc.... while Volek wants to be traded, it would do 2 things:
    1) Hurt his trade value
    2) Get nailed by Rosenhouse and the union in some law suit over "devaluing" a player's worth on the open market.

Just an opinion.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

link didnt work

"We're Sorry

The page you are looking for could not be found. It may have been removed, or is otherwise unavailable. Please report any dead links to us by filling out the form below."

6. skitch

I can't get it to link, but here is the jest of it:

Publicly, Volek put on the best face possible. He said all the right things. He even muzzled uber-agent Drew Rosenhaus, which is like getting Rosie O'Donnell to clam up.

Privately, it's a different story. It hasn't been pretty.

Volek and Fisher had a meeting. There, Fisher critiqued Volek's preseason performance and suggested that a lack of field presence led to the signing of Collins.

In response, Volek critiqued the offense and wondered aloud how any quarterback would succeed in that system, given the team's personnel shortcomings.

This was an article by David Climer in the Jackson TN Sun paper.

7. Ewker

Ewker Starter

I know this has been brought up many times so here it goes again. With Volek being with the Titans for so long you would think that someone would have noticed if he sucked and had a bad attitude before now.

Sorry IMO he is being used as the scapegoat.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

maybe he didnt have a feeling of entitlement to the starting job because he was never viewed as "the man" when steve was here like he might now?

you have your conspiracy theories, i have mine :))

9. skitch

Could be?
    Climer was on the radio yesterday and said that all though no one has come out and said it, the feeling around the facility has been that Fisher wanted Collins (back when we first heard the rumors but Reese denied them), and Reese did not want to bring him in.

Considering that Volek says he would have had no problem with Collins coming in if it had been at the beginning of training camp....if the Fisher v. Reese thing is true and Reese didn't come to the same realization as Fisher (bringing Collins in) until 12 days before the opener. IMO. that puts most of this mess on Reese.

10. Ewker

Ewker Starter

I can go with that. Which leads to why all of this happened so fast when Underwood showed up.

If Collins was brought in at the beginning of camp and won out over Volek there wouldn't be all this crap going on.

Seems to me it is getting to the point that the Front Office is the cause of all the problems. Time to sweep them all out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar