Attn Audiophiles: TV Soundbar opinions

Discussion in 'Gear' started by SawdustMan, Dec 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

So I currently have a Sony HTIAB 5.1 system. It's about 7 years old now and I've got a blown speaker. I know I could always just replace the one speaker but I hear soundbars have gotten better. And I'm also interested in de-cluttering a bit so I don't have wires running all over the place.

So does anyone have any recommendations for a good soundbar, preferably in the $400-ish range? (I know I'll never get the same quality and dynamics from a soundbar as a true surround sound system.) Or if you don't have any recommendations, maybe just your experience with soundbars in general. I've never had one.

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Good question..
    I'm looking for one as well.
    One that has some compression/downsampling options - cuz too many movies where the talking is so low you literally have turn the sound bar up to 50 then some action happens the windows explode out of the wall!

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

audiophiles don't listen to soundbars.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I was just looking at soundbar early also.

A co worker said he was pleasantly surprised with a Vizio soundbar he purchased.

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I have the Z.1 system in the home theater. I need reasonable audio that's better than the TV audio for the bedroom setup but do not want speakers all over the place. If they would address the phantom dialog issues soundbars would be a wonderful thing..

7. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Why not just do a nice stereo or 2.1 setup for the bedroom? And what is the Z.1 system?

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I have a 'soundbar' on my main system. It centers the audio on the TV. This is what the Center Channel on surround sound of any variety is designed to handle

Mine is an old school Cambridge Soundworks Center Channel Plus. Part of my old school Ensemble with dual Subs. Total overkill for the mancave as it should be

but you are correct when listening to traditional music the Center and surround channels should not be utilized

#8 GoT, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Samsung HW-J550 Powered home theater sound bar with wireless subwoofer and Bluetooth® at Crutchfield.com

picked this up for the tv above the fireplace. You know the one all contractors do cause it looks cool and then its impossible to live with, but all the wires are there so it is impratical to move the crap

anyways. I only installed the bar at this time and it is superior in all ways to the TV audio.

I predict the wireless sub will make movies watchable

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

they do a wonderful job of placing dialog onto the screen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar