Article: Volek blew it

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Starkiller, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I remember quite well... How did Tom Brady earn his starting spot? What about Kurt Warner? The starter went out and they came in and made plays. Obviously, Steve was the man here and for good reason but at the same time he had absolutely zero compitition.

2. No argument here, he's not a great QB. But that's not to say that he isn't the better choice than Volek. Only one of them has proven to be a capable NFL starter.

Plus, the fact is, Collins has played on some pretty bad teams. Hell, the Raiders have been pitiful during his run there. And some of those Giants teams were bad, too. He isn't going to carry a team or make a bad team good. But at least he can rudder the ship.

3. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Wow RT. I recall blasting Collins when we picked him up and even before that and you were defending the guy. I guess you saw what I saw in that preseason crap fest he threw out there.

4. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

I hope you are not talking about Collins because he has not proven squat. 3 of 11 is nothing. He had the same team year after year on the Giants. Same receivers, same RB same line, the D has gotten even better over time since he blew that game. He is a poor leader.

Last season he had Moss and Porter and should have been able to make that team work. Lamont Jordan ended up with 70 receptions last season because Collin has no vision. It is either deap or dump off no middle of the road for that guy. I am defiantly not a huge Volek fan. I think he throws ducks but I would rather had the unity Volek has had with the receivers in the past then Collins blowing it for us when it counts.

You take away last season and Collins has more INTs then TDs for his career. Don't tell me having arguably one of the best receivers playing right now did not bolster his stats.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Rudder the ship? In reality Collins is an eyelash better than Ryan Leaf and if not for his high draft postion would have been either out of the league or playing backup. If Volek happened to be picked that early in the draft and was given the same opportunities I'm sure he could have mustered 3 winning seasons in 11 years. The bottom line, as you put it, is Collins is not going to carry a team and Collins on the last two years version of the Titans would have lost as many games as Volek and we would be calling for his head.

Now, because Volek gets dumped on everyone joins in the parade and starts making things out of proportion. Now Volek sucks but Collins, with Randy Moss and alot better talent around him last year is suddenly a guy who can rudder the ship. Let Volek throw to Moss and Porter and I'm almost sure he could put up as good or better numbers. If Volek sucks then so does Collins.
    I'm not going to stick up for Volek but I'm sure not going to start saying Collins is any better. The only thing Collins has over Volek at this point IMO is he is bigger and might make it through the year. Other than that he is not one bit better IMO.

6. Brian

Brian Big Fan

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The point is that preseason stats mean NOTHING and has NO impact as to why Collins is in camp.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Bull. I am pointing out the use of preseason stats it a pathetic way to determine anything.

Do you honestly believe preseason stats had any decision on bringing in Collins?

It was the PREseason, Tide. Vanilla defenses. Second-stringers. The stats mean NOTHING except to those who grasp for something because they don't have anything else.

I'm not saying Collins is a better option. Never have. But something happened at some point to make Fisher and Chow decide bringing in a very average QB on the downside of his career was a better option than going with Volek. And it sure as heck wasn't a preseason stat.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Then what did? Volek's been here for 6 years, yet they only just realised he wasn't starter material 2 weeks ago? If that's the case our coaches are horrible, downright inept at evaluating players...

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

My personal belief is that it's Fisher's love for veterans. The same reason that sees Piller and Olson start over younger players with more potential is also what brought Collins into replace Volek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar