Are we overestimating our RB need?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SawdustMan, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I know we just lost the greatest RB to ever play the game and all. But it seems like a lot of (/most?) fans on this site seem to think its a foregone conclusion that we will be drafting RB in the 2nd, or at least that we need to. I'm just not convinced it's that big of a need. Would going into the season with Greene, McCluster, and Battle be the end of the world? Not exactly going to strike fear in anyone, but to me that's a pretty solid RB group.

That said, I would like to see us draft a RB. I'm just having a hard time justifying it in the 2nd, especially since we don't have a 3rd. That means if we go QB or defense in the 1st and then take RB in the 2nd, then we're going to have to wait all the way until the 4th to get QB/defense (whichever we didn't get in the 1st). And once you start getting into those middle rounds you're REALLY rolling the dice.

IDK, I'd rather wait until the 4th+ to take a RB. And honestly I think I'd prefer to not draft one at all if it means using our 2nd round pick. So how do you feel about our RB group as-is? Do you think it's a bigger need than QB and/or defense right now?

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I think we can wait until the 4th round and a quality RB that could get a small % of the RBBC carries.

I also think we should've made an effort for a guy like Andre Brown or K.Moreno that could've been had 1 year for cheap, then we wouldn't need to draft a RB at all.

We shall see.

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I'd be fine with a 4th rd pick or later.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Jackie Battle has the worst vision ever, so yes we need a RB still.

Greene is a No.2 RB now
    McCluster is also nothing more than a No.2 No.3 RB
    It would be a good use of the 42nd pick to get one of the drafts top RB's.

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I just hope if we do take one at 42 that it turns out to be homerun because we did it at the expense of more important areas (defense/QB).

And Battle is fine for a #3 IMO. Hell, he had the same YPC as "The Playmaker" last year. Even had a longer run than him too. But hopefully we don't get to a point where we are relying heavily on the #3 anyway.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

RB's get more touches than anyone after the QB, if Hyde or Williams, or Hill are there at 42 you go for it. In other drafts we would have had to use our 1st pick on them, this year we can hold off til the 2nd.

If we're not looking for an every down RB we can hold off on the 4th, but Webster has said he wants a 3-down RB.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I don't think we're overestimating it. Webster said we're looking for a "do everything" back in the draft. He's a pretty straight shooter when it comes to this kind of thing.

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I can name 2 Titans Rbs in the last 5 years with worse vision than Battle.

Chris Henry- all-time worst.

Chris Johnson.

No more RBs named Chris.

No more QBs with the number 10.

9. Sabomnim

Sabomnim Starter

I think it's less about need and more about opportunity. If the top rb falls to us in the second then we should grab him. If not, we def shouldnt reach beyond the top rb. To get the #1 rb that late is an opportunity that you can't pass up. Especially since we don't have a rb1.

10. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I want Charles Sims out of West Virginia, I think he fits the do it all type back. And interestingly enough he has paid a visit to meet with us already. I like Hyde and Mason but I think we have bigger needs in the early rounds. Sims might be available in the 4th and would be a solid pick. Good size, versatile, good speed and really good hands.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665240/charles-sims

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar