Are we good enough?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

Please don't cite Owens as an example. He drops more passes than most WR in the league. And Moss doesn't even try.

Drew is not a number one, but he is the best we have right now, and he will only get better as he continues to develop timing and chemistry with Young.

2. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

Which "easy, long TD" are you talking about? Was it the ball he dropped on the opening drive? Just curious.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

The opening drive was the drop I meant, mcmojo.

TNT, yes, I can read. washingtonpost.com is not a link to the chart, it's not kept on the front page. I mentioned my criticism of it above, so I won't repeat myself.

When I'm talking about improvement in Bennett, it's in conjunction with Vince, usually I mean their timing together. Did you see the long post earlier where I was talking to pitbull about all of the reasons these guys shouldn't be expected to be on the same page yet? I'm not trying to say I don't like Bennett, or that we should get rid of him, my post directed at you was simply defending gunny's statement that Drew drops some easy balls. My main post was intended to defend his statement, and to say stop attacking Gunny's football knowledge. Your response was accusing me of being not able to read. Glad you were paying attention.

No one here thinks Vince is perfect. If you look above, I think the WR we have now are fine, and it will just take time with them working with Vince to improve. However, I don't think Bennett is above being criticized for dropping balls. Even Fisher said that he should have had that one last week.

4. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

I agree that Drew should have caught that ball on the opening drive, but it would not have resulted in a TD. He was on his knees after having to come back to make the catch. He needs to be more consitent, that's all.

I have a feeling that this will be the week that Young shows the most progress as a passer. He is a proud guy, and after the performance he had against the Jags last time, he is going to do everything he can to win this game. I look for at least 250 yards passing with 2, maybe 3 TD's.

GO TITANS!

5. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I would assume since you knew the source you wouldn't have a problem doing a search if you really wanted to find it. You can critisize any player, and no one is perfect. I just find it funny how many people want to call out Drew, and clamour for drafting the new "super WR" that will fix all problems. If people feel that Drew is a problem and we need another WR, then that same logic would dictate that since Vince has far more badly thrown balls than Drew has drops, that we should be drafting a new QB. Vince praised Drew last week for his ability to recognize coverages and tell Chow what was going on, so they could adjust and make some plays, which is exactly what happened. Drew had 113 yards receiving. Now how many believe Calvin Johnson (or insert any rookie here) is going to be able to do that? Sometimes people don't measure all the things that make a player valuable. Drew certainly seems to get open a great deal also, is it his blazing speed? No, it's his football knowledge and ability to run routes correctly. When Vince gets blitzed, the first person he is going to look for is Drew. I do get a little touchy when supposed football fans only look at one small part of a players' game. There isn't a receiver in this game that doesn't drop passes, and the fact Drew isn't even high on that list only frustrates people, because it goes against their desire to believe he does.

6. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

TNThunder=Drew Bennett :ha:

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Come on...

This is getting a little ridiculous.

Drew Bennett is NOT a rookie NOR does he plays QB. He's a vet WR and a good one who is sometimes inconsistent catching the football. He can be excellent but he can also get the dropsies. Depending on your 'criteria' for good, he's a good #2 WR IMO. And this has nothing to do with VY. Bennett's done this before. It was more hidden when Mase was here because Mase caught the majority of balls to the WR. Now Bennett gets most of the balls so occasionally it comes out.

I'd like to keep Drew because he's a good WR, knows the system and we both know what we have. We don't NEED a Chad Johnson to be a Super Bowl team...we just need some solid WR's and we have that. The only concern is how Givens is gonna be next year considering his injuries. But there is hope that BJones, Wade, and Williams can step it up. Some of them have had the dropsies too, btw.

And you can't compare total drops of players since Bennet may have only had the ball thrown to him 50 times and another WR might have had the ball thrown his way 75 times. If they both have 5 drops...they aren't equal, are they?

The Titans need to get a pass rush and a real FS (and possibly move Finnegan to starting CB) before they NEED a dominant WR. And an improved OL and better D will improve this team drastrically!

Gut

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Amen, Gut. I agree with pretty much everything in there.

The drops aren't on Young, they're on Bennett. But I think we'll see more on time and accurate passes when their chemistry develops. Drew seems to have on and off days in terms of drops, but I was impressed last week that after missing one he turned it on and made some clutch catches. I don't think he'll ever be that idea of a "true #1" (which I don't think is necessary to have a great football team), but he's a solid WR. I do think that the drops are one of the major reasons he wouldn't be in that category.

9. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Actually I agree with most of your post. But let's not play the "rookie" card on Vince. He has been a QB since high school, throwing a pass from A to B shouldn't be a problem. Game management, coverage reads, etc. are more likely to cause problems. I never said Drew was a #1, he is basically a good #2, and if Givens was on the field, they both might have better stats. As far as "thrown to" stats, TO has far more catches at 75, but he also has more drops than anyone in the league at 14, again the point is that they ALL drop balls. Just because we sit at home and watch on TV and decide that is was an "easy pass" doesn't make it that way. Sometimes the ones that look the easiest are the most difficult. The more Vince and Drew play together, the more you will see passes being caught, hard or easy. I think people can be too impatient.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

No the easy ones are easy ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar