Anyone ever quit smoking??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Alzarius, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I quit in '07 and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. I'd tried several times before. However, I was able to do it because I used one of my character flaws against myself.

Lemme 'splain...

I went to one of those behavior change/quit smoking classes provided by my HMO. They gave the option of a "happy pill" to help, and I took it, but after three weks thought I had it beat and could do it on my own. BIG MISTAKE. The cravings were unbearable!! And on top of that, I was doing a large project with teak which, when cut, gives off an aroma similar to cigars and tobacco, and that just made the cravings worse.
    Unfortunately, one of my big character defects is an inability to withstand the shame or humiliation of failure, and the torture of telling my behavior coach- and the rest of the class- that I had failed and smoked again was worse than the torture of not smoking.
    On the upside, I found ways to deal with it that the coach adopted into her program: I would just sing out as loud as possible to everyone around "GEE I REALLY WANT A F****** CI-GA-REEEEETTE!!!" This did three things:
    1- invoked the breathing pattern that is part of the smoking habit and relieved that part
    2- Re-acknowleged to myself that yes, I have a craving, but I have a program to stick to
    3- Alerted everyone around me that I was having trouble and invited their reassurances and support.

It worked so well that two other of my associates at work quit also. They thought, 'hey, if THIS GUY can do it...'

I'll never forget that Fourth of July in '08 when I was walking down to the Lahaina waterfront to see fireworks and I subconsciously walked out in a wide semicircle into the street to avoid a couple of smokers...at that moment it occurred to me that I was a non-smoker. :)

2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I actually quit January 1st, 2012 and haven't smoked one since.

The best advice I can give you is to not put yourself in a position to smoke. Ever. I had to completely cut ties to my social life for a month. All of my friends smoke and we hang out in smokey dives all over town. Give yourself some time to find something new and you'll be alright. Good luck!

3. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

The best advice I can give is to be strong, it's very difficult to just stop but that's the best way to kick it.

For me, I had to really put it all into perspective. Is smoking this here cigarette worth more to me than a few more years of my life? Will just one smoke really make me happy in the long run? Is it worth getting stuck with emphysema and then having to quit? Quit now that you choose to rather than wait until you have to.

4. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Maybe ill have to get the gum. Its more of the addiction to the habit and routine that I think I am addicted to, but i havent quit so havent had nicotine withdraws yet so you may be right lol.

5. Alzarius

Lucky for me I had an incident about 1.5 years ago with a big bottle of alcohol that has turned me off to drinking every since lol. I wont be drinking.

I also dont smoke inside so i see your point.

I do WANT to quiet, would be a shame to have my life cut short at 50 because I had cancer.

I have a 40 day span. I smoke about a pack a day. simply put my "goal" is to drop 5 cigarettes every 10 days. week 1 20, week 2 15, week 3 10, week 4 5.. next week none. Not sure if that is any better than quitting cold turkey but we will see.

6. Alzarius

My wife reminds me every day lol

7. Alzarius

Interesting.... I always thought ecigs would work for me (as mentioned by sawdust i think), however I could not get a draw out of them so i ended up sucking like my ex gf after a few drinks just to get a draw, and ended up breaking the filters lol (the little packets that release the flavor slowly)

Maybe the breathing pattern may come in useful. Another idea, thx lol

8. Alzarius

Im unemployed and have no friends since I moved back to TN a bit ago lol..... i dont have social life so im good there ;)

9. Alzarius

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I start in 10 days so we will see what happens. One reason I posted this is that i know ill eventually check back and have to read this thread lol. Kind of like avvie.... i dont like failing so ill have a reminder at the only real social place i go right now

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Can't offer any advice on this topic, but I'm pulling for you, good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar