Accountability an issue for Zach Brown?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Jul 30, 2014.

?
  1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I hope so... but don't get your hopes up when he looks amazing in KC week 1.

He did that last year in Pitt, and was useless the rest of the season.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

LB was the biggest disapointment on the team after cj and britt. I think we can put a lot of that on coaching. The lb coach was way in over his head. And the two headed leadership on defense of williams and gray seemed to cause some confusion. Communication also seemed to be a major defficiency of the previous staff. Brown was among a few players who talked of lack of communication. Like being benched in a game and no one talked to him about it.

The new staff does not seem to have the same problem. And a guy like Brown probably fits better in a more open yet disciplined setting. He is young and probably is not always the most motivated. Guys like that need constand feesback. Need to know where they stand. Need to be praised when they do well and chewed out when they **** up.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Again, I think you and I have different definitions of what constitutes 'good.' The last 2 years he averages 4 pd's and 2.5 INT's and about 60 solo tackles (plus another 20 assists). This is what I call average production. When you combine that with his inconsistency...some games good, some games poor, it's a problem IMO.

I would say Griff had 2 good years...in 2008 (only 55 solo tackles but was much better against the pass - 11 pd's plus 7 INTS) and 2010 (86 solo tackles plus 22 assists for 108 combined tackles plus 12 pd's and 4 INTS).

BTW, one of those blown tackles can be seen here at :57!!!

Take a look and tell me what a good tackler he was last season.

Gut

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

No, he wasn't the only one. But he gave up some huge plays in those games and he's the one you're calling a good tackler...which is why I'm pointing out that what you're saying and what the tape shows are different things.

Gut

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Please explain how he was being used and how, in your opinion, he should have been used.

LOL!!! This is ironic. So why would coaches, who have coached top defenses listen to a 2nd year LB who didn't even make the Pro Bowl? Let me explain it for you to understand. The player listens to the coach!!! Maybe if you were a big time defensive player the coach asks for your input. But what you are not understanding is that Zach decided to free lance at times...which meant he left his responsibility. In the pass game, that means leaving someone open. In the run game, that means not doing your run fits. Every player is supposed to take a gap or has certain fits against different formations/plays/blocking schemes. Some players have difficulty playing within the structure of the system. So Zach decided to free lance and the coaches got ticked off. He kept doing it so they benched him. Him coming out and saying he was hurt is BS. That excuse works if you're doggin' it (which he also did at times) but not when you're running out of position. That kind of lack of discipline can really hurt your defense...and it did!

Yes, Zach made some plays earlier in the season but he got worse the longer the season went on. He has all the talent in the world but if he doesn't go all out every play and play within the system, he's gonna be riding the bench. He will have another challenge this year in that he will have to take on more blockers this year in filling the hole...especially in runs up the middle AT him. This hasn't been his strong suit but Horton isn't gonna give him too many mulligans on run D. Let's hope he's ready to go and can live up to his potential. He could be a Lawrence Timmons type speed ILB!

How would you have used Ayers last year since you also think he was used incorrectly?

Gut

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Not to be picking on Brown, but someone bashing the coaching staff that left tends to take the players side since the player is still here. The FACTS of the matter are that Gregg Williams has coached a #1 defense. GW knows what needs to happen for every position and every player on D so even if the LB coach wasnt great, ZB and all of the LB's knew where they were supposed to be. The problem in a GW style defense is that ppl can't free lance and open up holes in the defense. ZB did that! You can be sure this was gone over and IS gone over and IS a point of emphasis even for a High School LB. Each and every time ZB did this you can be sure it was communicated to him. What he did with that correcting is obvious because he kept doing it and then was benched. Few players are gonna accept responsibility for that to the press and Munch was classy enough not to explicitly say what it was to the press and embarass his player, but you didn't need to be a detective to figure it out. When you're replacing your 'free lancing' best LB with a rookie or a backup player, you are sending a message and the rest of the team. That's a different kind of communication.

That's a similar kind of communication being given regarding the depth chart or the lack there of. Go all out and make plays and know what you're doing, you get more snaps. You mess up, don't make plays or don't go all out...and they will find someone who will!

This will be good for the Zach Brown's and Michael Griffin's. Play up to your ability or you're not gonna be starting for long. Both players have the ability, but we didn't see it maximized last year.

I have high hopes for this season in that I think there will be a much high emphasis on everyone being accountable for their job/role. And we do have quite a ton of depth at ILB atm so....

Gut

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. GTFO my pancakz

GTFO my pancakz S.D.M.F.

Brown kills it Saturday

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I dont care.

Big plans for saturday are to not get drunk cause I have to drive home after the stupid exhibition game

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Hey Brown, you don't do what your told then you can Zach my dick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar