AAFL info

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Starkiller, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I hadn't seen any info about it recently, but the All American Football League has teams now. None of the names will be all that surprising. Tennessee, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Texas, and Michigan... all big college football states. And they will play from April to June.

Obviously most of their players will end up being from a/the big in-state school where the games will be played. Some are already listed (none for Tennessee yet).

2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Just checked out their website.

click me

Sounds interesting. Tennessee is getting a team. Would I be correct in assuming that they'll play in Memphis? I'm not a big enough fan of baseball to to watch regular season games, so some summer football might be a welcome diversion.

3. Knoxville. That will be their biggest draw, all the former UT players who aren't good enough to play in the NFL.

Plus, with Arkansas having a team, it would be redundant to have a second in Memphis... :ha:

4. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

I heard a radio interview with Eric Crouch earlier this week. Sounds like a novel concept -- teams locate near a college town and have a high percentage of players from that school, so there's a built-in fanbase for the players that didn't make it to the NFL. They'll make a livable wage ($50K?), and it could serve as a showcase for them.

5. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

6. XFL, part 2...

7. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Hey! Houston is getting a team. It's about time they got a professional football franchise.

I think the XFL would have worked if they'd have been patient. Although admittedly the baggage brought to the table by Vince McMahon didn't help when it was trying to establish itself with serious fans. I think owners of this new league, if they are realistic, have to be prepared to put the time in to establish a good fan base. Once the initial novelty of the league wears off and the casual fan drifts away, the league has to be prepared to struggle for a while at the gate and in TV ratings. Only by putting a consistent product on the field for 5 - 10 years will they be able to build a fan base large enough to be successful year in and year out. If they aren't prepared to put forth that investment (both in money and time) then they shouldn't even bother.

8. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

This could replace Arena football, for people who want to see football during the NFL's offseason and don't consider Arena ball to be real football.

9. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

It probably won't last. Seems they've had a hard time just getting it off the ground, but I'll welcome any kind of football.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar