A new strategy, trade down!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

The numbers ignore the primary reason that first round qb's have a higher percentage though...

When a team drafts a QB in the first round they have an obvious need for a starter there. Furthermore, a first round pick is much more likely to see playing time simply because of the investment made by management. Ryan Leaf started for several years, even though he was undeserving, for example.

2. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

That's pretty much what that percentage is. For example, from 1998 - 2002 there were 12 quarterbacks picked total in the first round and 7 of those guys are currently either a starter or in the mix to be a starter. Five were picked in the second round and one is a starter... and so on and so on....

3. Broken Record

I agree, but I did back up to the 2002 draft. These guys have had at least 3 years in the league and I only counted current starters, not guys who have been benched.

4. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I'm saying that if Tim Couch had been a 5th round pick (for example), he wouldn't have been getting a workout earlier by the Titans. First round picks get many more opportunities before they are discarded. Harrington, for another example, would have been benched long ago had they not already invested a large sum of their cap into him.

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

It is interesting when looking at that and the other statistics of where every starter was selected though.

6. Broken Record

Yeah, I agree with you there. Three years might not be enough to let the first round name recognition wear off.

7. Broken Record

Yeah, and this guy wasn't picked that low (4th I think), but I'd sure like to snatch him up... Seneca Wallace.

8. maximus

maximus Starter

This draft is relatively deep and good talent can be found later in the draft. By trading down, the Titans would get more picks to fill the holes and would be able to make a run for the SB quicker.

Hypothetical trade scenerio
    MN trades Daunte Culpepper to AZ for first round pick
    MN trades their two first round picks (10 and 17) to the Titans for their 3 overall pick. The Vikings select Vince Young or Reggie Bush and the Titans draft 2 of the following Jay Cutler, DeAngelo Williams, Marcus McNeill, AJ Hawk, or Jimmy Williams. In the 2nd round the Titans draft the BPA of the position they didnt pick(ie the Titans pick QB and RB, then in the 2nd round they pick LB or OL)

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Which is actually logical. One can only hope.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

i think we've concluded that more picks isn't what we need

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar