4 Cornerbacks...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by xpmar9x, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Griffin is a safety. I'd rather try Fuller on the outside, than move Griff there.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

So...is....Fuller. To me, the choice of putting one of them at corner would be: 6-one of them, half a dozen-the other.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm baffled our team only chose to carry four cornerbacks. It's not like 1-4 are great and never get hurt. Just one of them is good maybe great. I could understand being only four deep if the starters were just that damn good. But they aren't, they're a liability more than anything. Cortland is, but Nick Harper isn't. I use to like Harper until he was out done by #31. Now he just looks slow and scared. This years secondary is terrible so far.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

First off, what's the difference if you're #3 and #4 CB's aren't that good by carrying a 5th that's worse? The ONLY time that would matter is if 2 of our CB's went down...in which case we'd re-sign C.Williams or hopefully look for a better option.

Second, while there have certainly been mistakes by our safeties with angles, communication and a couple of blown coverages...Finnegan and Harper are the same. The real difference is our lack of pass rush with our front 4 down lineman. The loss of Haynesworth has been dramatic on our pass rush and coverage.

The secondary deserves a good chunk of their blame, but our front four is almost never getting to the QB. When a QB throws the ball 40-50 times and your dl gets 2 pressures...that's a GIGANTIC problem. Communication errors in the secondary can be fixed. It's hard to change the front 4 players.

Gut

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yea the D-line is crap too, but the secondary is gonna take the blame when they're getting scored on all day. Unless your running up the middle the D-line wont look like the problem at a first look.

6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I was wondering if anyone has noticed Fuller in the last two games. He's been playing great, and I agree, I think he should get the go ahead to move outside should one of our CB's get hurt.

Fuller is a safety too though. Then again, so was Finnegan. Safety -> NB -> CB. Seems to be a working formula for us. :wink2:

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yup!

Don't get me wrong, the secondary (back 7 players, not just the CB's and S's) DESERVES a chunk of blame. At times they have played well but so many miscommunications and simply blowing coverages for TD's is baffling.

But even Theisman got out the stop watch and was commenting on how long the QB's have had to throw the ball. When you have more than 4 seconds (or longer), it's a BIG problem for the secondary. To compund the problem, they were taught under Schwartz to jump routes BECAUSE of that pressure we were creating. Without the pressure and guys jumping routes, we're getting beat deep on double moves and pump fakes!

Houston...err...Tennessee...we have a PROBLEM!

Gut

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Don't think so...

First off, the reason Fuller became our nickel was because teams had found it too easy to run on use when our nickel was on the field with a small nickel back. Fuller is a much better run support player and frankly, we NEED him there. Secondly, he's really not asked to man up anyone without help in our D except on rare occasions so moving him outside might not go as well.

More importantly, the Titans see DB's as outside players or inside players...not both. There are rare exceptions such as Samarai Rolle and Finnegan, but in terms of backups, they designate them as outside or inside guys. I would fully expect to see Mouton or McCourty on the outside if one of our starters goes down and leave Fuller where he is. Fuller also plays over the top in some of our nickel and dime packages with Griff or Hope dropping down into the box or to man up a TE. Fuller was playing a S position on one of Pitts's bigger plays so they like his versatility.

Gut

9. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

His coverage has been great, and he's been playing good aggressive football. I'm just saying, don't be surprised if he moves outside should one of our corners get hurt. I imagine that if this is Harper's last season, you'll see Fuller involved in the ensuing position battle.

10. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Players like Fuller allow teams like us to run a lot of nickel packages and still be effective against the run. I'm glad we kept him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar