2 Things I learned from Last Night's game

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TheSureThing, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

pretty sure cutler hasnt thrown for 9 TDs/17 INTs in an entire season

2. Stephenson

Stephenson Camp Fodder

We didn't have to bench Vince.

3. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

until we find an alternative (yet stable) option... all you can do is hold on hope

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If a QB has a 130 passer rating in the first 58 minutes, he's the reason the game is close to begin with.

Again, give us the exact games where the Titans had the ball, were behind (or tied) with two minutes left and Collins blew it. If you count the Steelers game, what did you expect Collins to do from his own three and the game tied? No way Fisher/Dinger is going to allow Collins to take a risk.

5. TitanJeff

So you'd supported going back to Young last season after he returned from injury despite the Titans being undefeated under Collins?

This season is THIS season. You play the best players in order to win now. The Titans clearly think this is Collins and, based on what I've seen, it's the right call.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Did you even watch that game? The score had been the same for most of the half, and we kept failing to put it away. The Jags had been frustrated by our D all day, and we'd kept ahead thanks to turnovers, but the D was getting tired, and the momentum of the game was starting to turn.

The throw that Vince was injured on was a dink and dunk pass to Lendale when he was under pressure. He threw it to hard and Lendale dropped it. He goes out, and Kerry comes in. Yes, it wasn't a long pass, but it was perfect, and he did it at a big moment in a game when the odds were against him, and he was under a lot of pressure. He did EXACTLY what was needed to win the game. If he doesn't make that pass, I think we lose that game.

For a refresher...
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008090708/2008/REG1/jaguars@titans/watch

7. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Go to the drive before that. There was just over 2 minutes left and we stalled at our own 30, with questionable clock management I should add.

vs Baltimore at home in the playoffs last season, 53 seconds left, 3 and out, game over.

vs Houston last season, 3:55 left, has a nice drive down to the 39, then picks the worst time to choke up and turnover on downs. (maybe Bironas should of kicked, we don't know the situation, point is, we trusted him with the game, he failed. No excuses.)

vs New York his first season with us, 2:10 left, down by 7, goes 5/10 70 yards on the final drive, comes up short at the NYJ 7, turnover on downs.

vs Miami his first season with us, 3:39 left, down by 3, throws an INT at the 2 minute warning, Miami runs the clock out.

Yes I realize you can cut Kerry some slack on a lot of these, but at some point you have to realize, the dude just can't handle the pressure.

8. GoTitans3801

By the same logic, the Texans are amazing, because they win at the end of the season. They've won their last game of the season all three of the last three seasons! Amazing!

If you really don't understand why Collins wasn't any good when he first got here, then you don't understand what NFL QBs have to do.

I don't think anyone is saying that Collins is a hall of famer or even a great QB. However, he's our best option, and he's shown that he can get the job done. Yes, even in big moments and under pressure.

I'd be much happier if our passing game was better this season thanks to our new weapons, and we could actually build a lead with Collins so that he doesn't HAVE to score in the final two minutes. If he scores three times in the first 3 quarters, and we end up losing, then we have other reasons for losing besides the QB, and those are problems that we mostly don't have right now.

We get it, you want everyone on the team to be amazing superstars! So does everyone else! However, that's not how the NFL works, thanks to the salary cap. You pick what time of team you are, and where you build around. We're built around our offensive and defensive lines, that's why we win most of our games.

9. GoTitans3801

Steelers game, second to last possession- he started with a nice completion, and then on 1st and 2nd down, we let so much pressure through that he did the right thing and threw it away. That was a blocking problem, which is bad but not on Collins. He threw incomplete on 3rd and 10, not a good situation, but yes, he didn't make it happen.

Baltimore Game- Collins played a great game, certainly enough for us to win. If you're willing to acknowledge that he's not a top ten QB, how much can you ask of him? Leaving at a minimum 9 points on the field killed that game for us.

Houston- In my opinion, Jeff blew that by not chancing the kick. Also, if you're talking about pressure, let's not use the Texans game, during the biggest letdown game of the season, when there wasn't any pressure. Nothing was really on the line at that point. Also, even you point out that he got us a good drive down to the 39. Surprise, surprise, that drive had three incomplete passes to J-MAC.

As I've said, I don't hold the first season he was here against him, he wasn't here nearly long enough to be ready to play. What percentage of the playbook do you think we were working with week 1? Week 3? Also, that was a far inferior team to the team that we had this season and last.

Our team is not built to drive the length of the field with less than a minute left. Our team is built to run the ball the length of the field over the final six minutes of the game and kneel for the win or kick a FG.

Also, as Jeff keeps saying, he's still our best option, and this team is built to win now (and last season). We can't wait for Young to get better, even if we presume that he will.

10. TitanJeff

I referenced that a few days back in another thread.

McGrath has a penalty during the return so the ball is on the 18 instead of the 28. Collins hits Gage for 12. On the next two plays, Collins has a blitz in his face without a checkdown I could see and has to throw it away to avoid the sack. On third down, he throws an INC to Gage with more Steelers in his face. This is followed by the Hentrich shank.

So tell me what should Collins could have done he didn't? First of all, special teams cost the Titans 10. So, with his first completion to Gage, the Titans should have been on their own 40.

Dinger goes to a max protect which means Collins doesn't have a checkdown and the WRs are not shortening their routes for whoever knows why. Collins is running for his life while looking down field. Besides tucking the football and running, which we both know he can't do, what do you think he should do? Force the pass into double coverage when the game is tied?

Look at his stats in that game. He had a lot more passing yards in that game than most QBs had on B'more during the season. If you want to blame someone for the loss, look at White and Crump who turned the ball over. He lit up the Ravens for 281 yards in that game. He wasn't the reason for the loss.

Amazing. So Bironas gets a free pass on not taking a 49-yard FG shot and putting all this is on Collins after he drives the football from the Titans 17 including a 34-yard pass reception in the final minutes of the game?

2007 when he came in here with a week left in the preseason? No one is saying he was worth a flip then.

:bsflag:
    He's not had to deal with playing from behind but a few times in the last few minutes of games because HE PLAYS WELL ENOUGH DURING THE GAME FOR THE TITANS TO BE IN THE LEAD. He was all the offense had last year in Chicago. He took over for Young against the Jags and made a play which sealed the win. He made the winning drive vs. the Ravens (80-yard drive). Against the Packers, Collins got the ball on the Titan 8 with less than two minutes left. He went 4-for-5 for 48 yards giving Bironas a shot at a 47-yard FG to win the game. In Jax and only a 3-point lead, he hits Gage for a 38-yard TD which seals the game with just four minutes left.

Again, Collins falls around the middle of the NFL, IMO. But to say he can't deal with pressure or get the job wrong is simply stupid.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar