Ziggy

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by A Fightin'Titan, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

I know he's not a realistic pick for the Titans considering we won't get him in the first and we draft to far back in the second but what are your guy's thoughts on him? He seems to be a short, stout and strong DT but I haven't heard too much about him.

It is possible we go CB/WR in the first and move up to get Hood in the second?

2. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Seriously? Nothing from all you draft experts?

Jeez I thought at least Gut would give me a page on this guy. :wink2:

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Dang...just call someone out, whydontchanow? :ha:

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2009/showplayer.php?key=Evander Hood

"Pros: Good size and frame with excellent burst on the snap. Will split defenders very well to get to the quarterback. Naturally athletic. Has good swim moves and spin moves to get to the quarterback.Team leader and solid contributor. Strong and very powerful. Very good awareness on the field and will chase down runners form behind. Very coachable. Still has room to grow. very intense and has a great motor and will play every play to the whistle.

Cons: Will need to refine his technique and improve his stance and also improve his leverage. Tends to not really stand out. Will do everything consistently but doenst have anythign he does extremely well. Might never get any better than what he is now. He probably wont get any bigger and because of it and his lack of elite speed can get taken out of plays by bigger lineman. durability might be a minor concern.

Draft Exchange Analysis:
    Hood doesnt have anything about his size or his game that is really going to wow someone. He is just very reliable and and every coaches dream in the fact that he has a great motor and will play every play until the very end. He has started to show some improvement with his swim and spin moves and is very athletic for an interior lineman. A team with a 4-3 scheme would do well to take a look at him as he will probably be one of the first handful oif denfensive tackles off the board. He might not be a future Pro Bowler but his drive and intensity will earn a spot on an NFL roster for years to come. Was initially looked at as a possible third roudn selection but his moves at the Senior Bowl have opened some eyes and a good showing at the combine could gethim taken in the second round somewhere. "

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

He's a guy I would take in two, but not at 30. I want a little more than what Hood offers in a first round type player. I think he could probably fluorish here. Personality-wise, I like Hood. He's kind of a Bubba-type, a guy I'd like to play beside. Unlike some DTs, I think Hood is pretty balanced. He would benefit from the people around him, especially at first, but he'd flash. More recipient that contributor, but I think he'd fit in to the rotation from day one.

At 30, it'd be a 'B' pick for me, B+ at most. At 62, an 'A.' I'd bet the Titans will have him in the top 40 somewhere.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I should say, Hood also is getting a lot of good pub for his motor and intensity. To me, he's definitely "playing up" and the question becomes, is it sustainable effort in appearance and production, and for how long in his career? But yeah, I'm hearing late one projections, Colts and us. May have seen a Tampa Bay in a mock as well, but I don't think that's realistic come draft day, though.

6. eTitan81

eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Lol...

Sorry...when the title is Ziggy...I think Stardust!

Hood is a good player. Nice size and legit above average athleticism for an NFL DT. The ONLY reason he's not a sure fire first rndr are two things. Despite his 4.88 40 (which is FAST for a 300lb DT in the NFL), he doesn't have an elite initial burst. The BIGGER problem is...a guy with his athleticism and size should do well in the NFL. But his production fell off a cliff as a Senior (after a very good jr campaign). WHY? With his team's offense putting up a lot of numbers, he should have had even more sacks than the year before.

There is no good explanation for his sudden lack of production given his experience, athleticism, strength, size and his offense putting up a lot of points.

He could be a good DT for us...but you have to wonder if the mysterious lack of production makes him a little bit of a boom/bust type. Could be a Randy Starks type who will show you promise and then disappear. Or he could trun out to be a KVB at DT...a good athlete who's a better football player and will get half his production out of out-mauling/fighting/hustling the other guy.

The only DT's I'd take in rnd 1 are Raji (long gone), Jerry (should be long gone but if he gets close, I could see us hopping over the Colts for him) or Tyson Jackson (who could add 15lbs and move inside). I think Hood goes anywhere from us to mid-rnd 2. Realistically, unless we reach or drop out of rnd 1...I doubt we take him since I think he's not a good value at #30 for us and it's unlikely we get into range (trading up in rnd 2) to get him in the 2nd.

Gut

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I wanted him in the worst way at 30 but we had to get a WR based on how things were going there were few good ones left.

As it turned out we got marks anyway. How about that!

The steelers grabbed hood with both hands at 32. He will be great for them as a 3-4 DE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar