Za'Darius Smith - OLB - Free Agent (maybe)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by VondyP, Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

We should be able to get an interior rusher in the draft pretty easily. Most of the OLBs I'm seeing are super frail and probably need some time to develop. So OLB in FA, interior rusher in the draft is a good approach to improving our overall pass rush next year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Young54

Young54 Starter

I personally think Clowney is overrated. He's a freak specimen and he's good, but he's not elite and will surely get overpaid. Maybe he's out of position but when you play with a D-Line that has a healthy JJ Watt, you better consistently get double digit sacks. He hasn't impressed me enough on the edge and he certainly isn't an elite stand up LB.

Would I be happy if we signed him? Absolutely! Instant upgrade at a position of need, but just not worth elite money.

3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I feel like Clowney is one of these disruptive force types. He won't come here and get 15 sacks, but Landry might if he does.

4. Young54

Young54 Starter

Agreed on Calais Campbell. He would be a great add if the Jags cut him.

He is definitively older than Sheldon Richardson and Gerald McCoy though, and I wouldn't call McCoy a "next tier" guy. Is he even a free agent? Maybe a cap casualty? Even still I doubt the Titans would have the ability to sign two of the above. I'm hoping we at least get one.

5. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

As long as we get one of the top 3 guys I'd be elated - Clowney, DeMarcus Lawrence, or Frank Clark. Any one of those guys will come in and have more sacks than anyone on our entire team did last year. But more importantly, it frees you up in the draft to not have to take an edge rusher if one isn't there. As it stands now, we pretty much just have Landry. Not sure we can even count Correa or Finch.

6. Young54

Young54 Starter

Maybe being fan for so long has made me pessimistic, but I doubt we get any of those top three. They're each going to get top dollar and if they have a choice, will go to a contender.

Hope I'm wrong.

7. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I would tend to agree pre-JRob, but he's shown he's not afraid to go out and spend money if he wants a player. He overpaid for Malcolm Butler last year - I think we all agree he spent too much. But that shows he will spend for the right guy. I can't help but think with Vrabel having coached Clowney, and them having a preexisting relationship, that he might be someone they'd be willing to spend top dollar for.

8. Young54

Young54 Starter

True. I guess there is signs of optimism, but I still don't see it. We're more likely going after a tier 2 guy like Za'Darius or Suh. Maybe Dee Ford if he's not offered a crazy contract.

I'd be elated DeMarcus Lawrence if we can make it happen. Like I mentioned above, I absolutely do not want Clowney if he gets elite money, which I think he will.

9. Titanoiler51

Titanoiler51 Starter

You made it sound like they had some control which they can use to keep him, they don’t or won’t use it. Of course he could choose to play with them...but that would be his choice not theirs...so it wouldn’t be then not letting him go as you put it.

10. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Plus the Ravens have a lot of OLB so it he wants an opportunity to be a full time starter, that is something we could offer that the Ravens likely can't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar