Za'Darius Smith - OLB - Free Agent (maybe)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by VondyP, Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

he was never a full time starter there because of the ravens depth. in his rookie season with ZERO starts he had 5.5 sacks... which would be good for 2nd on our team, and he already knows our defense.

who else do you suggest we start at OLB opposite landry? just gonna plug in depth guys and hope it works out?
    why do we have to be cheap? are you spending this money out of your own pocket? we need a starter at OLB like @Deuce Wayne needs stylish foot attire

• LOL LOL x 2
  2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I just think it gets tough to break the bank for guys that aren’t necessarily proven. Don’t really know a lot about the guys, but consider any position and then consider how much people pay for someone who was a backup and how it is constantly addressed about overpaying for guys that weren’t worth it. For example consider the arguments about Foles right now. He’s a backup and not starter worthy but he about to get paid like a starter and then the Jags (or whoever) will be laughed at for overpaying for a guy we all knew was only backup worthy.

3. VondyP

if anyone can find a link with snap counts for this guy I think we could all evaluate a little better

4. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

He had 60 pressures. That's more telling than the sack total.

5. VondyP

i just want to see snap counts to see how much it took him to get those numbers. its hard to tell how much he really played since he wasnt technically a starter for almost his entire career.

6. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

He had the 17th most pressures of all edge defenders. If he was rotated often, then that's extremely impressive. Even if he never left the field, it's still a good number.

7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Ravens aren't expected to sign him, they're expect him to get overpaid. I'm all for signing him if Pees vouches for it. Bringing in guys like Will Compton is not gonna be enough.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Don't get me wrong. I'm not necessarily opposed to signing Za'Darius. There are a lot of reasons to be intrigued. Just think he's a pretty risky signing.

It's an incredibly deep edge-rushing FA class, so I would try to sign a couple guys. I think I would prefer any of these guys to Za'Darius (some will probably be tagged):

• DeMarcus Lawrence
    • Jadeveon Clowney
    • Frank Clark
    • Dee Ford
    • Preston Smith
    • Trey Flowers

9. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Morgan and Orakpo will no longer be on the books and we need to fill that position, so I'm alright with overpaying a little. I just hope he doesn't get some ridiculous offer like Olivier Vernon. The FA class is pretty good and draft is supposedly deep, so maybe that will help.

10. VondyP

• DeMarcus Lawrence (wont be avail)
    • Jadeveon Clowney (wont be avail)
    • Frank Clark (DE, not a stand up OLB I dont think)
    • Dee Ford (he had 13 sacks last season and will cost more than zadarius easily, expect a bidding war if he hits FA)
    • Preston Smith (i actually like this kid, he had a down year though... 4 sacks in 16 starts, and almost the same amt of tackles as zadarius)
    • Trey Flowers (wont be avail)
    also... his knowledge of our system coming in would be a HUUUGE advantage compared to anyone else on this list.

don't get me wrong though... id rather have lawrence/clowney/flowers over him if they were available, but i doubt they will be. although im not sure how much LB flowers and lawrence really play, they are more DE than LB i believe, could be wrong.

#20 VondyP, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar