Zach Mettenberger aiming to be the Titans’ Week One starter

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Pro Football Talk, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Unless Mett flashes greatness and Locker goes nuts on the field, I'd be drafting a top tier QB in 2015

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

So you're basing your entire rebuttal on draft position? Yeah, no. And yeah if Jake and Mett were coming out in the same year, I'd take Mett over him 10/10 times. Ignorant is basing your decision of who is better by solely looking at where they were drafted instead of what shows up on their college game tape. Mett right now has better accuracy and a better feel for the position than Jake did coming out of UW (Note I'm not saying he's better than Jake is right now).

It's funny that you mention Mett being only a second round guy when all the 1st round QB's in Jake's year except for Cam (Gabbert, Locker, Ponder) have been total busts at worst and wildly inconsistent at best. Guess who were the good QB's that year? Yup, the second round guys (Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson). If that alone doesn't show you how weak your argument is then I can't help you.

Everyone knows Mett dropped to the 6th due to injury and the diluted sample, not talent, he otherwise would have been a 1st or 2nd round prospect. That's not just my opinion either. Many talent evaluators graded him very highly. Must suck that most pretty much agreed with me seeing as how you said that wouldn't happen.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

If we're picking in the top 5 next draft I'd likely take a QB regardless of what either one of them does this season.

4. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Yeah no doubt...Clipboard Jesus and a likely injured Locker won't cut it

5. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

My rebuttal was to your comment of Mett being "light years ahead" of where Jake was when he was drafted. What they have done since then has no baring on where they were when they were drafted.

Your own comment was what I was referring to when you said Mett ""is light years ahead of where Jake was as a draftee." So even if Jake fizzles out and never plays after this year and Mett is our starter for 15 years and goes to the hall of fame, doesn't mean that Mett was a better draftee. You can't take what has happened in Jake's career thus far to try and disprove his status as a better draftee because it has nothing to do with how good he was when he was drafted.

I also wasn't basing my argument solely on draft position. But you can't discount draft position, even if the Titans didn't take Jake at #8, he wasn't getting past the 2nd round and in all likelihood would have gone to Minnesota at #12 instead of them drafting Ponder (that's just based off of mock drafts at the time). Mett on the other hand was passed on by every team, in multiple rounds, until the 3rd day of the draft. And THAT is why he's not "light years ahead" (and probably not as good, but that's not the point) because NFL teams didn't see him as valuable as other NFL teams saw Jake coming out. Even if they were evenly ranked with the way NFL teams saw each player (which is where the true definition of "better draftee" really lies, not with our own opinion), Mett isn't "light years" ahead. Even if Mett was a little better, he's not "light years" ahead.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. XO

XO Nevada Native

I found a tool on Twitter that really really likes Mett.

[​IMG]

:oops:

7. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Is that a new jersey design?

8. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Also i ****in hate twitter w all the @ and #

9. XO

XO Nevada Native

Yea I don't know. It looks weird with the yoke stopping shirt on the sleave.

Doesn't look as wide either.

Maybe it is bootleg.

Edit: Look at the stitching. Bootleg as ****.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Oh gos. Could be a TR guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar