Young May be Willing to Reduce Salary

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Oh no doubt someone will take a chance on him, if we don't keep him. But I bet any team that does, won't pay him a dime more than what the Titans' are going to offer him (if anything) after this year.

If his ego does get in the way, then it looks like he will continue to learn the hard way. Some people have to learn crap that way....sometimes when it's too late.

2. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

why would the next black QB to win a super bowl and future HOFer do that? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Might be Young's first intelligent act. If he were ousted from Tennessee, cap reasons or otherwise, he would probably get about as much attention as Byron Leftwich in FA.

4. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

What you talk'n about Willas?

5. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Yea he needs to be paid like a backup since that's exactly what he is.

6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I don't think ANY team would sign him to be their starter, and I think he would struggle to find a backup gig. Young recognizes this and wants to stay. He has struggled mightily to learn the offenses here, even though the coaches dumb it down for him (one read and run, roll outs to cut the field in half etc...). Imagine him going somewhere else and having to pick up another playbook.

7. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I like this move on several levels:

1) It's a sign Young is admitting he's not played up to his potential or his salary... like they say the 1st step is admitting the problem.

2) All the Young talk is about the Titans releasing him because of his cap hit next year - not good for a guy like Young to listen to while he's trying to improve. His agent floating this out should tone some of that down and allow Vince to concentrate on just developing.

3) It puts the Titans in a much better position no matter the outcome with Young. Boom or bust - this move could facilitate Bulluck retiring a Titan, for example.

4) Perhaps best of all - it's an indication that Young's inner circle has stopped blowing smoke up his rear and coddling him. A little dose of reality could be very healthy for his mindset... Time to strap up and get to work.

8. Daves not here

Daves not here Camp Fodder

4 years too late, eh ?

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

Amazing how someone actually is thinking of doing something good and beneficial to the team....yet still gets knocked for it....what happened to this board.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

First off, his salary for next year won't be 14 million, it's his cap hit. That's because of the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus, and I'm not sure how much it is. This is a guess based on memory, but I think his salary is closer to nine million.

The problem is that he'd have to make a MAJOR cut to have a reasonable cap number for a backup QB, which he would presumably be since Kerry will have another year under contract.

It's rough math, but I'm glad he's at least mentioning it as a possibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar