Young dead last this week

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanville

Titanville Need New Coach

I'm not really trying to bash Young here anyway and I"m not saying that he won't develope with time, I'm just stating what I'm seeing up till now.....but, remind me again what the Steelers record is this year without The Bus running over people for them. If I'm not mistaken they are 4-6 and his TD to INT are 12-17.

2. Nine

Nine Starter

In the last three weeks, Vince has faced three of the top ten pass defenses in the league. Did anyone really expect a raw rookie to suddenly blossom against the league's top defensive units and look like a polished NFL passer?

For the season, the Eagles have held opposing QB's (mostly veterans) to a passer rating of 69.8. The Jags D has held opponents to a 66.9. The Ravens' opponents have earned a whopping 59.4. So it appears that Vince isn't the only one who's struggled against them.....lots of QB's have looked awful against these teams. (I guess that's kinda what makes them the best, huh?)

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Nine is on target. We all forget, we stuck him into the fire against some of the best D's in the league, and he still went 3-4. Heading into the season we'd have been happy with any success, and most of us wanted to start him well after the Ravens because the schedule was brutal. He's doing just fine. And he'll be better for it when things lighten up.

4. cdy_hitt

cdy_hitt Senior...

Haters, please go to NFL.com, look up Alex Smith and please compare his stats from last year to this year...

5. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

My concern is he is still making the SAME mistakes week after week. You would think after the Jags game he would learn he can't throw into coverage, but he did it 3 times in the Philly game. If they had taken 2 of those to the house, you all wouldn't be so generous about his performance. I don't care if he misses receivers, just miss them where no one else has a chance.

6. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

He'll improve... but he'll never be accurate. I don't need to look into the future... all you have to do is look at the present and the past. He was never accurate in College, and its amplified in the pro's. Your kidding your self if you think he is. Being a rookie has nothing to do with accuracy... you either are, or your not.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Then why are rookie completion stats significantly lower then later on in their career?

8. Nine

Nine Starter

Uh-huh.

The coaches have already mentioned working on Vince's mechanics this offseason. I don't think they mean completely altering his throwing motion...they just want him to consistently use the same motion.

As we've seen before, Vince has a tendency to drop his elbow sometimes, particularly on shorter throws like flat passes and screens. Lowering the elbow moves his release point out and down by a few inches, giving him almost a sidearm delivery; this sidearm motion ultimately affects Vince's ability to throw accurately and consistently.

At this point, it's a bit late in the season to start screwing with a player's mechanics....it would probably do more harm than good. However, I expect this to be a big priority this offseason....get him to where he's keeping that elbow up on every throw. Once he starts using the same motion every time out, the release point stays the same, and voila!.... improved accuracy.

(Incidentally....I can't help but question your remark about Vince's lack of accuracy in college....he had a 65.2% completion rate. By comparison, Matt Leinart had 65.7% completions, while Jay Cutler completed 59.1% of his passes.)

9. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

I just hope you guys will get on the Vince bandwagon soon.

10. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Considering we paid Vince $56M, and he has been declared the franchise QB of this team, I think we all have a right to be concerned. We are only commenting about his performance on the field, just like we do other players. All this talk of "hating" and "wanting him to fail" is just BS. Most fans are tired of losing, and as Vince goes, so goes this team. Every QB in the NFL gets critiqued by fans, it goes with the territory. Most people can't just "jump on a bandwagon" when we see serious problems that need to be addressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar