yet another book thread ... part III

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GoT, Nov 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Dorsai! by Gordon R Dickson - Book 1 of the Childe Cycle

written in 1959 and published in 1960 is generally compared to Starship Troopers by Heinlein.

Having read both I can say i dont get it.... not to take away from Dorsai! but Starship Troopers clearly superior in every way. So the comparison must be subject matter and time of publication.

OK... we follow Donal Graeme from high school graduation thru reluctantly accepting Secretary For Defense of the Galaxy ( 12 or so worlds at this point).

Donal is 'dark skinned' with coarse hair... and that is about it as far as race is concerned... mentioned in passing early on and a nonfactor going forward. The people of the 25th century are mostly horrible people but they aint racist.

Donal is just flat out smarter and more keenly aware of his surroundings than anyone else. Combined with his Dorsai military background he is an unstoppable force.

I quite enjoyed reading Dorsai!, yes with the damn ! - LOL. Was pure Space Opera with all the fun that implies.

some technical stuff ... they dont have FTL communications so all news goes with starships from world to world. Jumping from world to world is instant though.... just no Star Trek 'sub space' communications in this universe.

2. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

I'm going to have to read Starship Troopers. Had no idea about the history.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Starship Troopers, the book, is most excellent

suggested reading to anyone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar