WR with the #8 Pick?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by xpmar9x, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Let me be the first to say, I don't think the Titans need a WR. I've been seeing alot of mocks with the Titans drafting a WR, then I started to think about it. Theres been alot of talk in other forums about WR, but no official thread that i've seen. So

Imagine if the draft happens like this:
    1. Carolina Panthers - DT, Marcell Dareus
    2. Denver Broncos - CB, Patrick Peterson
    3. Buffalo Bills - QB, Cam Newton
    4. Cincinnati Bengals - DT, Nick Fairley
    5. Arizona Cardinals - QB, Blaine Gabbert
    6. Cleveland Browns - DE, Da’Quan Bowers
    7. San Francisco 49ers - LB, Von Miller

or just something like that, with those 7 players being drafted. I mean Robert Quinn, Prince Amukamara, Cameron Jordan, and JJ Watt are still on the board and a possibility. But AJ Green and Julio Jones are on the board. Now we already have depth at WR.

Kenny Britt - who had 775 yards and 9 TDs in 7 starts. He could be an elite WR if he got his head on straight and worked hard. Which i'm hoping he does.
    Justin Gage & Nate Washington - combined 953 yards and 7 TDs. Gage is on the decline, and Nate drops some easy balls. He could still be decent in the slot, maybe.
    Damian Williams - 3rd round pick last year, showed some potential in the last couple games.

Now, imagine if we have Britt and Green, that would be a great and scary duo. Having a decent passing game (which we ranked 29th last year), will really open up the field for CJ. Which will eventually help our OL also. So imagine our draft like this:

1st round - AJ Green
    2nd round - Ryan Mallett
    3rd round - LB/DL
    4th round - LB/DL
    4th round (comp) - OL
    5th round - Power RB
    6th round - LB/DL
    7th round - TE
    7th round - OL

Personally, I don't think we should draft a SS, which is a change for me. I starting thinking about it and yes Hope sucks (bad). But we have decent young talent: Myron Rolle, Robert Johnson, and Schommer. Sure, no elite talent, but they could develop. Plus, next year there is some elite safety talent, unlike this year. Hope has one year left on his contract; we could keep him and try out the other guys, see if they work out and if not draft an early round safety next year.

I just think Ryan Mallett, CJ, Green, and Britt could be a great combo for years and years.

So what do you guys think? WR with our #8 pick or no? :suspect:

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I would be very upset if we drafted a WR first.

and the SS class looks bad as far as the scouts are saying. We'd better trade way back if we're looking to get either of these positions.

3. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Taking a WR with out 8th pick is asking to be mediocre. We're not great at WR but it's not one of our outstanding needs at all.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

This team has way more pressing needs.

Besides, no team in the NFL can afford to pay two WRs in their prime. Assuming Britt and this WR both turn out to be studs, the Titans would probably end up losing one of them in free agency or trading one of them away. Look at the Cardinals and their situation with Boldin and Fitzgerald. No team can afford to pay two elite WRs. It's too much money to tie up at one position.

Nope.

5. xpmar9x

Great point.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

i bet Britt done gained 10 pounds of Fat.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Titans don't NEED a WR, but could use one. Nate is worth the toilet paper I wipe myself with when it comes to making a difference. He negates any productive plays with a drop, therefor cant be trusted with the ball, not to mention he catches as a side job in the NFL.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Let me stop you there. I don't belive Buffalo is serious about Cam. Theyre showing major interest, but not to pick him. It's part of their strategy in moving back for who they believe makes them .500 material. An 8-8 team can be coached to the playoffs, Chan Gailey has skills to make that happen.
    Your first two picks make sense. If Denver can't get Dareus, they go for best player.
    Possibly, and here's why.

Nate is second string WR material. And being that 2 WR's start, he IMO is not good enough to compete as a Z. He's about good enough to play the F position at receiver. F because he fails.. Titans have talent at WR, but don't have much NFL talent.

9. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

I like it.....AJ or Julio....

10. xpmar9x

I had a disclamer, "or just something like that, with those 7 players being drafted".

Although, the Bills pulled this same stunt last year. They showed a ton of interest in CJ Spiller, most people though they were bluffing and wouldn't draft him... and then they did. Personally, I don't think they need Cam or a QB in general this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar