WR Discussion

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Broken Arrow, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

no, we want the jags to overdraft him in round 1

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Tricky

Tricky Starter

All of the arguments made here against Nkeal and AJ are worse for DK. He shouldnt have run the agility drills as he tested in the bottom 4th percentile in them. He also ran a far more limited route tree than any of the above mentioned receivers. And he was often injured.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Metcalf's injury situation is a valid concern...especially the neck thing. But he's either on their board or he's not due to medical. But we'll assume for the moment they see no long term lingering problem or career threatening problem there...

Metcalf's poor agility drills tell you one thing...you don't want him running routes that require him to start, stop, change direction, and go again. Calvin Johnson wasn't successful running those routes either. You want to take advantage of his explosiveness, speed and size. Which is why he'll run a similar route tree as he ran in college...hitch, go, curl, slant, speed out, fade, post, (probably add skinny post, sluggo, post corner, deep over in time). So you really don't need to teach him new routes year 1, just refine what he's already doing and teach him his role in our offense. And work on his hands catching the ball. But keep him running mostly vertical routes or routes off those when they back off (curl).

Harry would post similarly poor agility drill times...maybe not quite that bad...but still poor/below avg. harry needs to learn to run better routes to have any success in the NFL. Metcalf needs to stay healthy, work on his hands, and be more consistent...but he can run away from people. Harry can't unless he runs much better routes.

4. Tricky

Tricky Starter

Bust Alert:
    DK Metcalf
    Hakeem Butler
    Kelvin Harmon
    Marquise Brown
    Miles Boykin
    Terry McLauren
    (Irv Smith, Sternberger)

Smash Alert:
    NKeal Harry
    AJ Brown
    Parris Campbell
    Andy Isabella
    JJ Arcega-Whiteside
    (Hockenson, Fant, Wilson)

#114 Tricky, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  5. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

What do you think of Kelvin Harmon? He was getting first round buzz, though I could see him falling due to all of the great combine performances from the other WRs

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I have him as a 3rd round pick though he could go anywhere from 2nd to 4th I think. He's a bigger target and he doesn't have the athleticism of a lot of other wr's. However, he has GREAT hands and might be the best high pointing wr in the draft class. Much like Harry, if you want a guy you can throw back shoulder to all day long, this is your guy. He can get open vs quality opponents (Clemson for instance) but a lot of his deep stuff is either contest catch which he makes most of the time or he's open on double moves or qb scrambling buying him extra time.

I like him and think he plays faster on film than he times in shorts. I don't see him going first round...but in this draft...every wr has warts so beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some teams might have Metcalf as the best wr, others might have him at 5. Depends on what you like, higher floor lower ceiling or vice versa and how comfortable you are developing players at the position.

This draft is pretty loaded at wr between 2nd and 4th rounds and you can pretty much get the type/role receiver you want.

How do you compare him to Boykin?

7. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

I'll have to look into him some more. I didn't really like him, to be honest. Seems like one of those looks like Tarzan, hits like Jane types. Nice catch radius and hands. Great size. I don't think that he plays up to his combine testing, and it sounds like he really struggles with physical corners, so he's more of a flyer. With only 6 picks, I wouldn't consider him unless he was around in the 5th and we really weren't high on the potential of anyone else. Kind of Chris Conley-esque to me. I'm sure he's a really bright guy and has interests outside of football, so he'll do what he needs to in order to stay on a roster, but I don't think you can teach dog to a player, which he really needs.

I'd take Harmon over him because he's easier to project. He knows exactly what his strengths are and plays to them. I don't want to compare him to Hopkins, but his physicality is similar as he knows how to create subtle separation at the catch point via "legal" OPI, and he catches everything. I think that he is more sudden than his testing indicates, and could do good things at every area of the field.

I agree that there is a lot of depth in this draft at WR. I think we have to get in on it because Houston and Indianapolis are going to be doing the same thing for their QBs, in all likelihood. I'd prefer a play making WR, and judging by the WRs we've shown the most interest in, that's what we're looking for. But if he's sitting there for the taking in the 3rd and we didn't get who we wanted, I wouldn't pass on a good player.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Agree with a lot of what you said. I don't think Boykin plays to his gym short times and Harmon plays faster than his times. But both are pretty strong players and Boykin has maybe a higher ceiling but a lower floor too. I'd take Harmon first too. Both need work on their routes. Thinking of Boykin as that type of bigger wr later in the draft.

9. TexasTitanFan

TexasTitanFan Starter

Apparently the Patriots liked Harry as much as some of us did. Will be ineresting to see how they use him.

10. Tricky

Tricky Starter

:bliss: Screenshot_20190428-092753_Chrome.jpg

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar