Would you rather see...???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Feb 19, 2006.

?
  1. option 1

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. option 2

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

It's a pass...McNair to Young...

No-brainer. Brees is short-term, as Jeff said. That's no solution. It looks somewhat better from a cap standpoint, but not enough to ditch Steve.

The torch should be passed the right way whenever possible.

2. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I'm going to go with option #1. History has shown that LTs and LBs that grade out high 1st are usually very safe bets. Teams reach for QBs way too much. None of the QBs coming out this yr are sure things. Brees has shown that he can be a winner in the NFL and he certainly should have 5-6 good years left in him. Whereas if we go Mac/Young we are going to get Mac on the decline of his career for 2-3 yrs and then Young learning the ropes for 1-2 yrs.

You don't have to have a franchise QB to win the SB, but you do have to have a top 10 defense. The last team to win the SB that didn't have a top 10 defense was the Raiders.

Get Brees, trade down and grab Hawk who combined with Bulluck, Haynesworth, and KVB make our front 7 dominant which helps our young secondary out tremendously.

Chows offense is predicated on making good reads and timing. McNair and Young are both better when they are outside the pocket which doesn't play to the strength of the offense. Brees is coming from an offense that uses the TE a bunch and he will quickly build a connection with our stellar crew of TEs.

I like the idea of getting a proven QB in his prime over staying with a vet who is past his prime and then waiting for a young guy to develop. Better for the short term and the long term.

In terms of why not stick with Brees, it all comes down to pride. Rivers is AJ Smith's guy and Brees is Schottenheimer's guy. It is well known that they don't get along. It would be tough for Smith to swallow his pride and trade Rivers and that is why he isn't going to do it. I also think in his grand plan he wasn't expecting Brees to get hurt and he was expecting a new CBA to have been done. Both would have helped him out in terms of franchising Brees and then trading him.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Does anyone even know if the Titans have the cap room to being in Brees? I assume he'll command more than what McNair will settle for. And the dead money due McNair if he is released has to be factored in as well.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

TJ, I think that's probably one of the biggest reason, if not the reason, that option one can't happen. I'd rather do that and look to other problems with our draft this year. I agree with 2004, QBs are a huge risk, I'd rather trade down a little, and hopefully take DBrick, since I think our offensive line problems are bigger than we're treating them as. I really liked what I've seen in Brees, and I'll take his last two years of any potential/risk in the draft prospects at this point. However, I don't think we can afford it.

5. Letting McNair go is back stabbing him, Stick with McNair, he is still the man in Tennessee!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar