Would C.J. consider a pay cut? No way

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Dec 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans running back Chris Johnson made three things clear on Thursday:

–He still feels like he’s one of the most dynamic playmakers in the NFL.

–He’d like to return to the Titans next season, and he’s trying to ignore talk that suggests they could move on without him.

–He won’t take a pay cut in order to return to the Titans.

The sixth-year pro has 950 yards heading into Sunday’s season finale against the Texans and is scheduled to make $8 million next season.

Following a year when he made $10 million, the Titans are expected to look closely at whether he’s worth the investment.

Asked if he would take a pay cut, Johnson said: “No way. I don’t feel like it’s all my fault. It’s a team effort.”

The three-time Pro Bowl selection said he’d lean on his agent’s advice if the Titans wanted him to restructure a contract that has three more years left and calls for him to make base salaries of $8 million in 2015 and $7 million in 2016. Giving up money won’t be an option, however, he said.

Johnson admitted his yardage total has been a blow to his pride, but not his confidence.

“I know I am way better than trying to get 1,000 yards in the last game,” he said. “But looking at the situation, it is a whole bunch of things that go into it. So I don’t get too down on myself. I know when I get the ball and put in the right situation I can still do the same things.”

Johnson has just one 100-yard game this season – 150 against the Rams on Nov. 3 – and is coming off a 90-yarder against the Jaguars.

The player who posted a 2,006-yard season in 2009 and had 1,200-plus yards in four of his first five NFL seasons said he could return to that form.

“There’s not a doubt in my mind I can get back there,” Johnson said. “I have taken so many hits since I first got into the league, but I can still run in the 4.2s, and I don’t know many guys six years in at running back who can say that.”

So what happens if the Titans opt to get rid of Johnson?

“I don’t think I’ll be out of work long,” he said. “There’s nothing I can do about it. At the end of the day I’ve had a great time here and I appreciate all they have done for me. … I think it would be sad on both parts, but being in this league for so long I understand there is a business side of it.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

LOL

He's not coming back either way, screw him

• High Five High Five x 4
  3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

good riddance, ****ing bum

• High Five High Five x 4
  4. XO

XO Nevada Native

GTFO

Worthless *******.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

I am so tired of this guy and his talk with no backing. I have no doubt he can still run fast, but dude can't shake tackles anymore. He had 1 game where he did so this year...Unreal

6. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

:cj: " I LIKE MONEY AND THINGS LIKE DAT."

• High Five High Five x 10
  7. JCBRAVE

Thats why I've been questioning his heart for 2 years now.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

At this point I am not sure I would want him at any price. Only going to prevent us from getting a good RB.

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I am excited to see CJ's last game as a Titan Sunday. I may wear my CJ jersey.. because it is the last time ever I will wear it.

10. JCBRAVE

I gave mine away last year

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar