World Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RTH, Jul 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

They want "Equal pay" with the men. When in reality, they make more. The women get 13% of the take while the men only get 9%.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Who's pie is bigger tho?

• Boring Boring x 1
  3. The Hammer

Rhetorical question I assume.

The men's world cup is the biggest grossing sports even in the world.

The women's world cup is......... well, cute

[​IMG]

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
  4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

This irritated me as well. After the 13-0 win.

Jill Ellis, the head coach, said, “To be respectful to opponents is to play hard against opponents.” And she followed that up later with: “I sit here and go, ‘If this is 10-0 in a men’s World Cup game, are we getting the same questions?”

Score as many goals as you can. They all matter at that stage of the tournament. But let the women's game be the women's game. Why this constant harping and comparison to the men's game?

It's small-(wo)man complex at it's finest.

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Note my "dykie" statement....NO THANKS.

6. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

I would bet the TV ratings are NOT in the same ballpark as the men...thus...sorry about that honey....LOL

7. Fry

And when Canada hosted the Women's Wold Cup in 2015... The constant bitching about how the men's game would never be played on an artificial surface and the women were being put at unnecessary risk.

They were right. The men's game would never be played on an artificial surface. Do you know why? Dozens of countries bid for the World Cup and the playing conditions need to be pristine. If the city/country hosting can't produce that, FIFA will give the games to another host site.

Do you know how many countries bid for the 2015 women's host site? TWO. And one of them withdrew the bid, so Canada had no incentive to spend millions of dollars to rip up artificial turf to put down natural grass, only to tear that up and put artificial turf back down.

Not to mention, CFL games are played on the same turf the women played on and no one cares. There wasn't an epidemic of lower leg injuries as a result of the game being played on field turf.

When the women's game starts pulling in as much money as the men's game it will start to be treated on the same level as the men's game.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. The Hammer

Revenue Disparity Explains Pay Disparity Between Soccer World Cup's Men And Women

Let's see, $73 million vs $4 billion

9. Fry

$17 Million Total money paid for TV ads during the women’s 2015 FIFA World Cup on Fox. That’s nearly three times as much as the $6 million in ad money collected by ESPN for airing the 2011 women’s World Cup. Still, it’s a tiny fraction of the $529 million in TV ads paid to ESPN during the men’s 2014 World Cup on ESPN. Meanwhile, the most recent women’s final was the most-watched soccer match ever in the U.S.

Women's Soccer Gets a Parade & Huge TV Ratings, but Not Equal Pay

That right there shows the difference in money made.

10. Fry

You're wrong, but it's not an apples to apples comparison either. The women play in more important games like the semi-finals and finals.

The 2019 Women's World Cup final is the highest-rated soccer game in US history, but I'd argue that's due to the men never playing in the final. The men in the final would put up Super Bowl numbers.

People in 2014 had World Cup fever. I couldn't go anywhere without people talking about the men's team. They only made it to the round of 16.

#30 Fry, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Take a Chill Pill Take a Chill Pill x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar