With the 45th Pick of the 2016 Draft: Alabama RB Derrick Henry

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meow

Meow Starter

Yes me too because Alex Smith's rookie stats were very similar to Marcus Mariota's rookie stats...right?

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Good lord. You guys try so hard to be dismissive of an opinion that does not adhere to the board narrative.

Alex Smith is a mobile guy who excels in the short and intermediate passing games while struggling with the deep ball. Is it that far of a stretch to say Mariota will end up being a solid but unspectacular QB?

The reason I "worry" that he will be more Alex Smith than Aaron Rogers is because the solid but unspectacular QB is the worst kind to have. Good enough to get you to the playoffs but not good enough to do anything once you're there. Good enough to make you want to extend his contract, but then you're stuck in NFL purgatory. A tease that maybe you'll get over the hump, but in the end you just end up spinning your wheels in the first round of the playoffs.

It wasn't an insult to Mariota, but to say that I am "sold" on him would be an outright lie. I am hopeful.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. JBC

JBC Starter

Trent Dilfer fits that criteria and has a Super Bowl ring. How about Brad Johnson? Manning got his second ring with his worst season as a pro. Great qbs can keep teams in the hunt, but it takes more than a great Qb to win Super bowls. Super Bowls can, however, be won with a solid Qb and a good team around him. I do hope Mariota becomes a better Qb than Smith though.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I'm not 100% sold on Mariota, but I am excited for the things I've seen already. In regards to being an Alex Smith over an A-Aron Rodgers, I hope Mariota is at least an Alex Smith. Smith is a solid NFL starter, he can move, and is pretty accurate. I agree he has deep ball issues, but it seems that coaches can cater an offensive plan to that style. I said it at the time and I'll repeat it now, SF made a huge mistake giving up Smith for Kaepernick.

5. Fry

Alert me when we assemble the best defense of this decade.

The point of having a "franchise QB" is to circumvent the process of needing to assembling a great team and having a guy who can mask the worts of an above average to good team.

6. JBC

JBC Starter

Just pointing out that teams can win a super bowl with solid Qb play. If a great Qb is all that is needed, then Marino would have a ring or two. Rogers would have more jewelry as well.

7. Fry

You picked three out of the six non-great Super Bowl-winning QBs. The three others being Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, and Jeff Hotstetler.

The other 44 Super Bowls were won with great QB play. I think the data is in on this one, great QB play is almost a necessity, UNLESS an all-time great defense is present.

Like I said, alert me when we assemble an all-time great defense if we plan on winning a championship with an Alex Smith-like QB.

8. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Jim McMahon was great? I would argue Namath was not "great", Plunkett and Stabler were not "great" How about Flacco? Roethlisberger? Russell Wilson? You have a pretty long list of greatness if all these guys make it.
    Who was the third that he listed? I see Dilfer and Johnson.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Clint8

Clint8 Rookie

The fumbles are definitely a concern, but I just can't envision a world where Mariota becomes Alex Smith 2.0.

10. Fry

If you don't think Flacco played great football in the playoffs that year then you're mad. 11 TDs with zero INTs in four games. Great QB play resulted in that championship.

Roethlisberger is going to the Hall of Fame.

I personally think Wilson is a great QB.

Like I said, find me a non-great QB who won a Super Bowl without a great defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar