With the 135th pick, the Titans select DE Rashad Weaver

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, May 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

Man you are tiresome! Like a gnat sitting on my porch. I actually like playoff games....

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

There are people who hold him in higher esteem than others. No one I have seen thinks he is infallible. You are the most unreasonable and extreme in wanting him gone or “punished”. You seem to have a very unreasonable view of the job description. An analogy to me is you would be mad at a baseball player for batting .450 because he missed more than half of the time. While a GM needs to be better than 45/55, you have to have a more logical scale for measuring these things. I think JR was naive to sign Beasley as there was no evidence he cared to try to sustain success. I think Clowney was questionable, but not as far out there. Clearly he has missed on some key picks like Dodd, Austin, and Wilson, but he has also hit some later round gems like Brown and Byard. Amy will hold him accountable, but wins and losses will be the measure of that.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Good point. Reaching for a a guy just because he has [edge] next to his name has a success rate of slightly above 0%. The point here is if you can take another position of need where there is a player with more skill and talent you increase the odd's of getting a quality player. You seem to think we should have taken a lesser player than Simmons because he played edge? Is this your logic? That JRob should just pick 6 or 7 edge guys this draft because his odds are better every time he selects one? If you want to make this argument go back and tell us who we should have drafted instead of another player we drafted and maybe with 20/20 hindsight you might actually find someone. Facts are he took Dodd (it takes a few years to know you got a dud), traded up to get Landry (while Morgan and Orakpo were still on the roster), has brought in FAs and signed Dupree this off-season. Clowney got hurt last year so I guess that is on JRob. Same thing happened with Cameron Wake who looked great until he got hurt. The effort was there but the cupboard was bare across the board.

4. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Without hindsight on Simmons, on draft day, yes, I would have preferred an edge rusher over Simmons. Was a great pick, don’t know if we could have had a great Edge rusher then too.

“Lesser player” is subjective to the order of predraft rankings.
    All kind of scouts say Farley was the best CB but comes with injury risk. The “lesser player” I’m suggesting is an edge rusher that wouldn’t be available for our pick round 2. So to the degree of “lesser player” we’re talking about subjective, predraft rankings, between picks 24 to (assuming no trades) 60. I get it, everyone here but me would be pissed if JRob took a guy projected anything 2nd round, in the first round. It’s some sort of blasphemy with subjective predraft “value”.

there is literally no less of a crap shoot gamble on a CB with injury risk over an Edge player taken in the first round.
    despite your take on “slightly over 0%” for a “reach” (again that weird draft day blasphemy on value) it is almost insignificantly different of a % than taking Farley. You definitely have the idea that a “reach” for a guy predraft ranked at say 32 is a waste at 24 never mind the larger hole of need he would fill.

I’ve never suggested spending an entire draft on edge. I get there are other holes. Edge is a consistent hole that has been there the entirety of JRobs position with 2 draft picks spent in 6 years, in the first 2 rounds, Landry and Dodd.

And my point still remains that pass rush is more important than Def secondary overall. So if we’re balancing out the holes needed to be filled, edge should still be the highest one and almost unanimously agreed on among this entire board prior to Draft day (feel free to re-read our boards on the matter).

As far as clowney, that’s the good attempt but it failed and he was expensive even if only for 1 year. Beasley was a waste and a risk. Wake had literally 1 good game then got injured 4-5 games later. Dupree is a risk still. IF he isn’t healthy, maybe Weaver is the guy but it appears he may not be available if things don’t play our right (not blaming JRob for that part)

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The answer is no, there was no Khalil Mack level edge guy. And no, a decent edge rusher like Landry (who isn't bad) is not close to the value of Simmons. Thus your whole perception is blown out of the water. You want to picks guys that don't exist. Even when we picked #5 in the draft and picked Davis there was no high level edge rusher we could have taken. And all you have to do is go back and look.

6. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

This is also a comment based on hindsight and without the actual ability to know what players would do better or worse if they started with a different system, different coach, different supporting roles.
    Jeff Simmons was not considered a “Khalil Mack level” player either. Every year, there’s maybe 2-3 players that are considered that highly and most of the time it’s QB, like Luck, Lawrence this year, etc. a pick in the 20’s isnt getting one of them so now we look at the entirety of guys graded anywhere from 10 and falling to maybe 40-50 that just weren’t predraft graded as high. (Consider why some players get graded as “steal”). That grading actually has no real basis for success in the NFL and even then, we’re talking about so many players, different positions, being graded by hundreds of scouts that it seems like that entire gap is pretty closely ranked. This premise can be used for NFL greats comparison, who’s better, Joe Montana or Reggie White? How do you compare them? (Rhetorical, we all would use different criteria). So what is the difference between 15 and 32 except a bunch of guys guessing who is better before ever playing an NFL snap at various positions, and have a track record of being wrong to the point of average Joes reaching the same accuracy?

For the Davis pick, I’m on the record stating I would have taken a CB with #5 and an edge at 18. We needed a CB and there were a handful available that wouldn’t be by 18. And maybe it was a “reach” at 18 to take Watt but now with hindsight was it? Seems more of a reach to take Adoree Jackson at 18.

I get we don’t agree on this and we’re never going to. Every pick is a gamble. I’d much rather the gamble on the long missing pieces and much more important Edge position than certainly RT for example, Wilson specifically is irrelevant.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Obviously in hindsight we should have taken so and so instead of Adoree, Davis (althought both players were decent and got fat 2nd contracts). Maybe we should have taken an edge player instead of Wilson or one besides Dodd. Your argument can go in circles for ages. Like a 5 year old crying over spilled milk. The draft is a crap shoot (50% misses even in the first round) and there are other needs and opportunities than Edge. If Dodd had been TJ Watt good we wouldn't even be having this argument. Then your whole argument is mute and pointless. JRob TRADED UP to get Landry. A draft where we only ended up with four picks all draft. Yet that wasn't good enough? Keep crying it won't change anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar