Winston Pro Day

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Gut, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I was out of town but have tried searching the forums for a thread for Winston's Pro Day. Is there one? Please re-direct me if yes. If no...what were people's thoughts of Winston's Pro Day???

2. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

I didn't catch all of it but what I did see, looked good.

I however think this it's a moot point because everything is "Winston to the bucs"

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I thought they got a little too cute with it, to be honest.

They started with a lot of movement, scrambling, avoiding pressure. I thought they'd try to let him get in a rhythm first before getting in to the movement drills. Unsurprisingly, the first part was a little rough. Settled in as it progressed though.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I was pretty disappointed in it. I thought Mariota and Winston both looked much better at the combine than in their Pro Days. Neither is what I'd call good.

The Pro Day was poorly run by his QB 'coach' and I think they got the opposite of what they were trying to do. They started out trying to do all these movement drills but it really highlighted how inaccurate he is when on the move. Although a couple of his best passes of the day were on the move (his best throw was a scramble to his right and a perfectly thrown bomb down the right side), he was worse than I THOUGHT he was from watching him on film - throwing a lot of throws behind the wr.

Additionally, when there was confusion with him and his qb coach over what they were running, you could really see him get frustrated and that was not good for him trying to show a mature and in control QB. He also seemed frsutrated and unsure what to do when one of his WR's ran off the track and maybe hurt himself.

Additionally, he was less accurate with a lot of his non-movement balls than Mariota was which shocked me. Plus, they kept giving him these 2 yd dump off passes to a stationary rb as if this shows us anything other than to give him another 'completion.' What really concerned me was his deep throws. A few of his deep balls were so far behind the wr's they almost had to stop. Those would be INT's in the NFL and that is what he's supposed to be good at.

Again, I'm not saying he didn't make any good throws, but for a guy who throws all of these patterns in practice and in games for 2 years, he didn't look like the QB we saw in 2013 on film. And this is concerning and why even without the off-field stuff, he is a boom or bust type player.

While Winston is the one making the throws and apparently how Winston wanted it (according to Whitfield), Whitfield should have let him make 20-30 throws with straight drop backs and let Winston get into rhythm and then inserted a movement throw here or there. But this is also what concerns you if you are an NFL GM. If he gets frustrated having to move a bit early in games, is this gonna throw off his accuracy like it did in his Pro Day?

Not that I put a lot of stock into pro days, but I saw nothing that enhanced Winston's draft stock from this. He didn't look better, he didn't throw better, he didn't show better poise and calmness. The only new things were negative.

And yet, I see nothing from the media but positives. I do wonder if the Bucs will take Mariota or Winston or if they can convince a team (Titans, Jets) to move up to #1 for Winston.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar