Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Gear' started by NYTitansFan, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Mac's are a 10th or less of the computers today and they don't run anything that hackers are interested in (servers, router relays, etc.) so YES, there are more attacks on Windows (and Unix for that matter) than on Mac simply because of the domination.

And Puck, we can easily agree that Unix based OS's are the most secure, but they are also the most restrictive and would definetly not be suited for most everyday personal use.

2. First off, if Macs make up 5% of all computers, then it logically makes no sense that they are the target of just 0.1% of all viruses (as of December 2005) if your suggestion is that they are just as insecure as Windows PCs are. Even Symantec, has admitted that there is no significant Mac virus threat in the wild.

Secondly, OS X is Unix. It is BSD Unix with Apple's GUI on top. And Macs are clearly suited for everyday use...

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

It may be based on a Unix system, but so is Windows. The fact that you have an extensive shell on top is what creates the loopholes. Remove the Explorer shell from Windows and the system is near impervious to any attack.

And your logic regarding marketshare is flawed. Because 5% of the worlds computers are Macs doesn't mean there should be 5% of the attacks on Macs, just like there aren't 5% of all the worlds programs for Mac.

Edit:
    Let me just clarify that I'm not saying Windows has Unix kernel underneath, but rather that the concepts, designs and implementations are almost the same.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

you're just not looking hard enough
    and I see beta's of games quite often

the thing is that alot of games aren't playable in their current code without a "key" which is needed to boot it

I had full blown versions of XP months before it was released

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

But they're not hacked (as in electronically stolen from the developers, actually the only game that was ever "stolen" to my knowledge was Halflife 2), rather somebody either a tester, somebody working for the publisher or similar hands it off to the scene.

Yeah, and if you can hack the systems at the developers, what is going to stop you from circumventing a simple keycheck??

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I disagree
    OSX is extremely suited for everyday personal use

if you don't believe this, then go to CompUsa
    buy a Mac (i suggest a Mac Mini or an iMac)
    and return it within the 21 day return policy
    I bet it never makes it back to the store

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

OSX is not a Unix system, it has a BSD foundation, but that's not the same as being a Unix system.
    Just like if somebody ported the Explorer shell to BSD it wouldn't be a Unix system.

No need, I used to work at an advertisement company and had (more than) plenty of interaction with OSX. And yes the Mac is good for everyday personal use, but no more or less so than the PC.

I just hate the fact that Mac opt to cater to the lowest denominator, rather than try to educate their users in how computers work. I also hate that Microsoft is going down the same road.
    It's kind of like math. Just because we have calculators that can calculate infinitely faster and better than us, doesn't mean we shouldn't know how it's actually done.

8. OS X is not based on Unix, it IS a version of Unix with a well-developed GUI. Period.

You can run X11, you can recompile and run standard Unix apps, you can access everything through the unix command line. Why? Because it is Unix under the hood...

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

So I can reprogram the kernel if I want to? Write my own drivers directly to the OS?
    Otherwise I stand by my statement, unless you want to call Windows a version of Unix with a well-developed GUI as well..... considering that 90% of the differences between Windows, Mac and Unix based systems lie in the shell interface (if you've ever worked with Sun's Solaris in the past you know how big a difference a crappy shell makes).

Unless of course you know of any specific kernel-differences? Aside from the fact that Windows and I believe Mac as well don't provide the src and the ability to modify it yourself.

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

So if I give you a Windows PC with a Cygwin interface, would you believe it was a real Unix system?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar