Will the Titans draft Mariota if given the chance?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Fishman35, Nov 12, 2014.

?
  1. Definitely

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. Depends on Mett's performance the rest of the year

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. No, we have bigger needs in the eyes of the FO

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  4. No way

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Losing record? Book that. I'd bet the house we pick top five again next year.

The only way we don't is if we take mariota and he is the second coming.

Personally, I say we take williams. Build solid. Build up front. Take few risks. This dumpster fire will not be fixed overnight.

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I was leaning Williams for a while but I just honestly don't think a 3-4 DE will change the franchise. He's probably the best player in the draft right now but landing the next great QB for us would of course be bigger. All depends on if you believe in Mariota or not.

3. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Agree....I just do not think that Mariota is worth a #2. As mentioned in another thread, I really don't to see us reach to pick a nice guy at QB again. My vote (between Mariota and someone else, that is) is to build on the lines and work from that. If we cannot get value from another team at #2 I am good with Williams. My first choice is finding someone like the Eagles (or maybe....this is a reach.....the Saints) who are willing to deal for our pick.

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Mariota is more than just a nice guy. He actually has the talent. We've been screwed by a QB with mental/maturity problems and another guy who never really warranted a top 10 selection anyway, along with injury issues. Mariota is a top talent, a leader, a real face of the franchise, and he can ball. I've made this comparison a lot but I'll make it again.

We're the Panthers before they drafted Cam Newton. Lost a Super Bowl, lost all their key guys, didn't have true replacements, and were the forgotten team in the NFL. Not the joke of the NFL like let's say the Raiders or Browns but just forgotten like us. They selected Cam Newton even with the question marks and now the guy is on every other commercial, the Panthers are being talked about, the fanbase is excited, they're exciting to watch, and they're now trying to build around him. Even though they're only like an 8-8 kinda team right now, they're actually heading somewhere. We can be that kinda team next. Instead of going with a 3-4 DE, failing next year, seeing Mett probably bust, and hope we're bad enough to land Hackenberg.

Again wouldn't be upset with Williams, he's probably the top guy. However, for me at least, give me our next QB or take a hell of an offer from the Browns, Saints, or Eagles.

5. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Mariota is in no way a "reach" at 2 the way Locker was at 8 or Young at 3. Whether you like him or not, Mariota at 2 is very very fair.

So it sounds like our private workout/meeting with him is tomorrow, right after his pro day? This private meeting will be HUGE for us in determining if he could be the face of the franchise at QB or not.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. CheeseheadTitan

Maybe I simply did not watch him enough, but in the games I saw (FSU game and the Nat'l Championship) I just did not see a #2 pick there. Even in the FSU game I was not overly impressed. He is good, but not #2 good IMO.

7. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

He wasn't great vs Ohio St, but vs FSU he threw for 340 yards, 2 TDs, added 68 rush yards and a rush TD.

He had 57 total TDs in 2015 (42 passing, 15 rushing) and only 4 INTs. He's #2 worthy. Elite #s.

8. CheeseheadTitan

Yep....good stats, that is not what I am talking about. Set aside the OSU game....in the FSU game I saw him forcing throws, making bad choices, etc...during the first half of the game (before it got out of hand). You get away with that stuff in college if you are strong enough, but not in the pros.

Again, I may be wrong (I am not the "scout" that a lot of folks on this site are LOL), but I just did not see a #2 in either game.

9. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I don't LOVE him by any means.. But as I said, he's worth #2.

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

What?
    Are you Michael Graves?
    I imagine Jello Biafra wasn't your favorite singer.
    I need to know more about TT the Punk!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar