Wildcat?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titansfan89, Oct 15, 2009.

?
  1. Yeah, give it a shot and see what happens.

38 vote(s)
    79.2%
  2. No, the wildcat is a gimmick and won't work.

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titansfan89

titansfan89 Starter

Dont know if this question has already been posted (sorry if it has), but do you guys think we should try the wildcat on Sunday?

Im sure NE has already prepared in case they see it, but do you think that we should go ahead and give it a try? I know it will NOT help our D at all, but we need some new looks on offense to switch things up and not be so predictable. If it works, it will put less stress on our defense that will have its hands full with Brady.

I say just give it a shot this week...there really isnt a better team to try it out on at the moment. The Pats pass rush is horrible and we should get good pushes with the OL.

Stick CJ back there with Lendale or hell, even put Vince back there and have him run it a couple plays then get the DBs to cheat up and have him go deep to Washington or Britt.

Im in desperation mode right now and looking for any potential life out of our team. It could work and it could not, but there really isnt much we can do with our current offense right now. Collins' dinky 5 yard throws wont help us against a New England stout offense.

So yeah...would the wildcat be helpful? Or no?

2. huck1974

huck1974 Camp Fodder

It works well for Miami because the o line is really big and controls the line. Also two big strong backs. They are weaning in the Pat White experiment and I think it will open up against new orleans.

Take a look at the success Denver had against them. That would be the style more fitted to your players. Better coach up the big guys up front. Need a good push and you still have to make holes to make it work.

The difference meaning Miami way gives you 11 on 11. Better run opportunity.

Denver way verse the pats is 10 on 11. Possible better pass opportunity.

I say go for it. I love it!

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Yes, it's been discussed a little. But frankly it's about as useless to talk about as the "what if Peyton played for the Titans" thread. Never gonna happen. We are going to go out there with the same old status quo gameplan. Then we are going to hear the status quo in the post-game press conference. Rinse. Repeat.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. pettso

pettso Starter

Fisherball does not include the wildcat. There will be no deviation from the course.

5. titansfan89

titansfan89 Starter

Yep, thats the problem...too predictable

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

the best time to pull that off was against Indy
    they had no answer for Miami

7. 24

24 Starter

I don't think it's a gimmick, but I don't think we should do it. Like anything else in the NFL, it takes knowledge of the system to implement it. David Lee, the QBs coach for the Dolphins, was the OC for Arkansas when they had McFadden. He had extensive knowledge of the system, that's why they are able to run it so effectively. Plus, it's not Fisherball.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

the reason miami does it so well is because it's a big part of their offense. you see teams all over the league try to sprinkle it in here or there and they're awful at it because they're hoping to hit the big play the one or two times they use it.

miami is more than willing to take the 5 yards they get on it and go to the next play.

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I agree.

Most team playing the Dolphins last season referred to it as a gimmick offence that sprang from desperation.

Most couldn't stop it consistently though.It reminds me a little of the run and shoot.Not in it's style but in that it it's effective because it's so different.

The Oilers and the Falcons both stuck with the run and shoot for a long time.The Oilers had the most success with it though because they committed to it for the long haul.It required the right type of QB and RB to make it work.

The wildcat doesn't seem to be as difficult to set up in terms of players required. It seems to require the right kind of RB's rather than a certain type of QB. RB's are easier to find.

I'd love to see an exiting offence here again.As you stated though I don't think it's something you just try on a whim.

10. TygerNeo

TygerNeo Camp Fodder

Should only be used if VY is the QB because he is such a good runner and is a better passer scrambling out of the pocket. We don't need to use a running back or receiver to take the snaps like other teams do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar