Why is everyone giving up on CJ2k?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by damersbrah, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Actually I disagree....if CJ gets back to his old self this will really quiet down IMO. I do not see him as a head case here....he is struggling right now, and that is ill timed considering his holdout, which really fuels the frustrations right now.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. damersbrah

damersbrah Special Teams Standout

So name some of the street RBs could succeed behind this line right now, in this current system. Do you really think a RB has the same impact on a team as QB? I'm tired of you deflecting points, and responding with irrelevant gibberish. Until you can form a coherent post with actual substance and relevance to the discussion, I'm no longer going to respond to you.

Where did I say you base 100% on what you see? Though as I said before I tend to favor statistical evidence vs the eye-test. There are too many inconsistencies when judging a game solely on watching it. For humans are naturally prone to error in observation, natural biases, misunderstandings of the game, selective memory, and the whole lot come into play when relying solely on observation. Even in legal cases studies have shown that eye-testimony is largely unreliable, and roughly 60% of it is simply erroneous.

I think your 2nd point is exactly that, because he dropped 2 passes that makes him a poor receiver? What about the great catch he had against between defenders down the sideline? It was the Denver game I believe. Inconsistent as he may be, he is still a better receiving option than the average NFL RB. Of course he can improve, but I think a lack of success in the passing game is on the coaching staff, as I remarked earlier.

I think you see the root of the problem, and this is exactly what the statistics show. Hell even by watching the games it becomes pretty apparent the line is getting pushed back in the running game. There is no RB who could have consistent production with the current state of our line. The coaching staff needs to get this worked out. As I and many other posters have suggested, we need to get more creative with play calling.

3. CheeseheadTitan

4. damersbrah

That was a general statement, and not directed at you in particular. Although if you base all your opinions strictly on what you see with no statistical support then you certainly fall into the category.

CJ has 24 passes thrown at him, incomplete or complete, and has caught 75% of them. If my math serves me right I think it's 18 passes caught. Let's look at some RB's who have had at least 24 passes thrown to them, and how many they have caught:

Ryan Matthews - 20/24 - 83%
    Mike Tolbert - 28/34 - 82%
    Matt Forte - 36/47 - 77%
    Fred Jackson - 24/29 - 83%
    Earnest Graham - 24/29 - 83%
    Ahmad Bradshaw - 19/24 - 79%

That's a pretty short list of RB's have had at least the same amount of attempts while maintaining similar efficiency. Let's look at some highly touted RB's for receiving ability(These either did not see at least 24 attempts or failed to maintain at least 75% success rate):

Ray Rice - 66%
    Darren Sproles - 74%
    LT - 74%
    Jahvid Best - 68%
    Darren McFadden - 82%
    Johnathon Stewart - 91%
    LeSean McCoy - 70%
    Felix Jones - 70%
    Arian Foster - 64%

5. CheeseheadTitan

Without going through each one, I will point out one in particular here to illustrate my point on not totally depending on stats...Matt Forte. He has roughly the same catch percentage as CJ, but he is actually a much better receiver than CJ IMO. He catches the ball in stride (CJ seems to want to face the QB on passes, which costs him a step...may be why the plays appear unimaginative). Last season Forte was pretty average as a runner, but was a huge weapon for the Bears as a receiver. I would love to see CJ develop this skill...it would really make him a long term asset IMO.

6. damersbrah

The Titans mostly use CJ as a checkdown option, and don't design plays to use him as a primary receiver the way the Bears do with Forte. This has nothing to do with actual ability, but with the coaching staff. CJ can only run the play as it is called/designed.

7. CheeseheadTitan

Watch him tomorrow on passes though. He rarely catches a pass when he is not facing the QB. I see him do this on check downs and screens both.

Hopefully the bye week has gotten him more comfortable with his legs and with the Palmer offense. I really think Palmer will try to use him like Forte is used if CJ is up to the task.

8. damersbrah

As opposed to catching a check down with his back to the QB? I think realistically the only time you can expect him or any RB to make an over the shoulder catch is if they are working down the field.

Forte is a more effective receiving option, no doubt about that. But the Bear's run a lot of screens and a gameplan to get him the ball in space as a receiver.

9. CheeseheadTitan

AND, as I have said a few times now, CJ needs to improve himself in this area so that he can become more like the playmaker we paid for, as well as help himself achieve a longer career. You can blame the scheme all you want...when he drops surefire long gainers it tends to make the coaching staff steer away from featuring him in the passing game.

10. damersbrah

I'm confused as to what you're specifically referring to, are you suggesting lining him up wide and having him work down field?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar