Why I Want VY to Start This Season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by vslyke, Oct 4, 2008.

?
  1. Yes. VY gives us the chance to open up our playbook.

28 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. No. KFC is the better game manager.

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Is you crazy?

10 vote(s)
    17.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Right now, things are going great for us. We’re 4 and 0, class of the AFC, about to smash the Ratbirds. We have one of the best defenses of this century, a great running game built around Chris Johnson, and a head coach who doesn’t make bad calls, and doesn’t try to do so much. Yet, I feel we are still one piece away from a Super Bowl. Obviously, that piece is not going to be in the running game or the defense, those are just about as good as it will get. It’s the passing game. So far, KFC has done well, because he has not had to win any games. It’s been enough for him to make safe passes, and rely on the running game and the defense to win the games, which they have.

However, what happens when we have to come back? I don’t see anyway KFC can lead us to a TD winning drive against a good defense (say the Bears) with 1:30 left. CJ wouldn’t be able to do too much, and we don’t have a WR who can win the game. It would cost too much in picks, time, and money to pick up a game changing WR.

However, if we swap VY for KFC, that 2 minute drill has a whole bunch of options. Defenses have to account for the threat of his running, which opens opportunities for Chris Johnson and the WRs. Also, name one game winning play that KFC has made. I guarantee none of them went to a WR of the caliber we have. VY can win games by himself. See the Texans game, the rose Bowl against USC, the Giants game, and probably one or two more.

In addition, VY as a passer is not much worse than KFC. VY has a 68 rating; KFC has a 73. KFC has 2 seasons with a passer rating over 80 (2002 – 85, 2000 – 83). Sure, he is doing well this season, but that is only because he hasn’t had to do anything. Name one big play KFC has made this year: it’s awfully hard to do. His last two games have ended with passer ratings under 75 and those were against the Texans and the Vikings. His passer rating goes down 13 points in the second half, and his numbers crash when he gets over 20 passes.

In conclusion: we will do well no matter who is at QB. However, I believe that VY gives us a better chance at the Super Bowl. His ability to run opens up all kinds of possibilities, and as a passer, he’s only marginally worse than KFC. In addition, he is our future at QB, unless we go with Simms or someone we picked up. So, vote VY in 08!

Disclaimer: This only applies if VY is ready to go 100% for us. It only applies if he is willing to run the ball, which Chow seems to have beaten out of him. It only applies if the team will accept him as the QB. Also, I want don't want him back yet, but only after a couple of moths of work with Dinger.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. titansfan4eva24

titansfan4eva24 VY 4 Life

I agree 100% bro

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I've kind of thought ahead and agree with this. I think, if titans are going to win a superbowl, they need the rookie sprinting VY, combined with the best passing he's ever done (which doesn't have to be Peyton or TBrady good, just better than Vince has done in the NFL).

4. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

I think a VY who ran 5 times a game, and had an 80 passer rating would be great for us. Put another way, KFC's stats thus far + 5 runs. We'd be my SB favoirtes if that happened.

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

If he was the 06 Vince Young yes.

Right now I don't have confidence that he's mentally up to it. Also if he returns this season the media circus will be itching for him to fail & won't leave him be.

His best chance of a return this season is if Collins gets hurt. If Young is reinstated as a starter because Collins is losing games then the pressure on Young will be immense.

I really think it's in his best interests to either sit the year out or gradually see action late in games after we have a good lead. Let him ease his way back in.

However we don't as everyone knows play that way.

6. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

If Vy can put it together than I totally agree

7. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

VY is eventually going to start. If he plays great in practice, KC gets hurt or starts to play bad, or if they need that mobile QB in a key match up then they're going to put him in. So I think 98% he'll evetually be the starter.

8. omahacolt

omahacolt Starter

it would be a big mistake to let vy see the field again this year

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

no, you put Vy in a 2 minute drill teams know we gonna run the ball, with Collins we can run or pass.

We dont need a non passing running QB, Cj and White can do the running the Qb needs to pass the ball and mangae the game.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

We need the VY passer from last year's Denver game combined with the 2006 scrambler that he was and the improved footwork he displayed in training camp. That's the VY we need to see return, if Collins begins to stink it.

Hopefully we get to build some healthy leads and see VY close it out in garbage time a few games before the Titans jump back in bed with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar