Why do we play off when we have a good pass rush?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titan Yapper, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titan Yapper

Titan Yapper Only ONE Team Matters - TN Titans

We have a good pass rush. I believe lead the league in sacks. So why do our corners play so far off the receivers. Last night on several third downs we play so far off there was nearly no way the Jaguars couldn't get a first down. Just seems if we played in their face we might force more turnovers or at least reduce so many passing yards.

2. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

We had a pretty big lead, maybe it was to just limit big plays, and make sure that even if the Jags get yards, they're still using up clock.

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Played off real bad in the Dallas game. I was wondering this myself.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Been a problem for years.

5. petergriffin16

petergriffin16 Starter

The titans defensive scheme is an opportunistic defense that keeps the field in front of them. The reason they play off is the same reason Verner was able to make the interception, it's quite simple really.

As a corner favor the deep route and cushion the underneath. If the underneath ball is thrown obliterate the receiver with intent to disrupt the catch and cause drops. If the route is over the top, blanket the receiver between CB and safety.

Watch how the Titans defend underneath routes, they either get a good hit on em to jar the ball loose or they break on the routes and get pdef/picks.

It's for these reasons you see the Titans get harder and harder to move the ball on the closer and closer you get to the red zone. I wonder how many red zone turnovers the Titans have at this point? Probably more than most team, and they have the best red zone defense in the league by far. They typically get scored on when theres a break in coverage and big plays go through the defense. It's quite logical really, and very effective. Saints play a similar defense.

• High Five High Five x 4
  6. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

^^ Great analysis and you've got the same concept of our defense as I do. Sometimes when its a short down situation or 3rd down situation they'll cheat out a linebacker on the slot reciever or cheat up the corners and bring the safety up.

I still don't think we've seen our entire defensive scheme though. The same can be said on the offensive side of the ball. I think that by the time we reach our last streak of division games you'll see the defense become a lot more creative.

I don't feel our yardage numbers reflect the level that our defense has been playing at.

7. rwysman

rwysman Tampa Titan

they play off so they dont give up big plays. Thats why we get passed on so much with these underneath routes. i was at the monday night game and they played extremely well against the jags but jacksonville isn't known for there passing game.Jags also tried getting the ball off a lot faster to avoid sacks but in doing so got picked off.

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

...because playoffs are the path to the super bowl?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar