Why Carr is not to blame.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

In what was a total defensive meltdown some want to pick out one 3rd string guy particularly as our biggest flaw but if you watched every play you would see that carr wasn't as horrible as you think while other players were at least as bad in coverage most particularly thornton and our safeties.

1. The guy carr had to cover almost all day was coles a good receiver right? Coles 88 yards receiving was not outrageous especially when you consider that 25 of those yards was not carr's responsibility. The 25 yards came against a zone and was poorly played by both thornton and the safety. That one play accounted for over 10% of the jets passing yards.

2. Carr had little help. The slant is a hard play to cover especially when you have a QB making perfect throws everytime. The answer to that is for the linebacker or safety to cheat over and knock the WR into next week. Not once did that happen. Not once did any jet receiver pay for coming over the middle on us or running a slant.

Another example of little help was on the 2nd interference penalty when we had no help on top from griffen. Why was that? Because griffen had to play linebacker to stop the run because our front 7 was getting the S&M treatment!

3. Many of our top defensive breakdowns had little or nothing to do with carr. Like the screen passes that killed us in the first half. Or dustin keller who owned us in the first half with 6 catches and 2 interference penalties. And of course their offensive line owning our defensive front.

Looking for goats on our defense? Start with the defensive line and go from there.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Favre's 3 step drop and his passing skills totally neutralized our D scheme. I don't think any single DB could fair well in that situation. I haven't looked at the tape yet, but I wish we would have disguised some nickel coverage and mixed in some man coverage w/ a healthy bump at the line.

I'm sure Schwartz was doing the best he could, but it just seemed they had the right play dialed up EVERY time.

3. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

Favre dinked and dunked us the entire game and it worked beautifully. No long bombs needed, just keep throwing the slant and you will kill the Titans.

Anybody nervous about the Lions? I'm starting to get a litttllllle nervous :scared:

4. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

The Jets owned that 5yd box where our linebackers normally sit. They had that open all day and every time they needed yards.

5. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

I wouldnt have minded to see Griff play CB and Nickey play FS just for this game. Carr just seems like he had Reynaldo Hill syndrome out there, never got his head around, looked intimidated and thats probably explains why he played 10 yards off the ball. But it all does start up front with the D-line and the pressure. I understand we have a solid front four and we dont have to blitz but theres going to be games(like yesterday) we're there going to slow us down, so send some people. Some times i think its stubbornness that the coaches think we're to good to blitz. We got heat on #4 but not enough, hopefully they have a better game plan against them next time we see them in the playoffs

6. Toly

Toly Free your mind

Of course Carr is not to blame. Regardless of how good or bad he played this game, he is a 3 string for a reason. A guy needed to fill a spot. That's all there is to it. It's a completely different situation than when Hill kept starting with Finnegan looking from the bench.

7. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

The whole D is to blame for this game. The O is to blame for this game. We just need to face it, the Jets came in with a perfect game plan and worked it perfectly.

8. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

I noticed that whenever we did bring pressure from finny or griffen, farve would check to the slant. Not once did Schwartz drop a DE into coverage, or move one of the outside backers over to help. Capn' redhat got it handed to him yesterday. I just hope fisher can correct the error of his ways.

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I don't put any of it on Carr, except maybe for a 1/53rd share that everybody gets.

No one on Defense was tackling well yesterday, Hope was terrible on that long run and Thornton was sliding off of people all day. I think the LBs really let us down. Strange to think of the middle as a weakness.

The lions are going to bleed for this, I feel bad for them.

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

What killed me:

If you've ever watched Brett Farve play, you know he's going to throw the slant. Why not take the slant away with the setup of the Defensive Scheme? Make the DBs take away the inside release, and that would immediately throw the timing and rythm of the passing game off. No more 3 step quick drops, our DLine would have a better opportunity to get pressure and play on their toes than heels. Bad gameplanning from the coaching staff IMO. We only used the boundary as another defender one time, when Finny got his pick. You have to close down the field against Favre, so he forces throws into coverage. Our LBs played like crap too. For someone who got picked on so much(Carr), I sure didn't see much Safety help. Very disappointed in the defense. Not nearly as good as they think they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar