Why can't Titans run the ball?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Thaddeus43, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Yes, they run actual plays against the scout team. Not just against air lol.

I'm sure there are portions of practice where they work on learning plays, formations, ect before they put opposition in there.

I don't know if you have been to the TC practices, or any football practice, but that is pretty standard. It's not just 11 on 11 the hole time

2. Apcgamb24

Apcgamb24 Starter

This was the single biggest problem this year. Without an effective running game, this offensive coaching staff has no clue what to do and can't develop a quarterback. The reason we were successful last year is because the running game was working so well and that put less pressure on Mariota.

When you have an elite raw talent like Mariota, you need to develop him, not just have him hand the ball off. I've seen no improvement in Mariota from where he was his rookie year. I personally believe when looking at the combination of skills, physical ability, and intelligence, Mariota was the best QB prospect since Luck/RG3. Difference is guys like Wilson, Wentz, Goff, Watson, and even Dak were developed into good to great QBs and have offensive staffs that play to their strengths, while Mariota is stuck with this staff. It's really upsetting. We could have been so much better.

So yeah, because we can't run the ball, we can't do anything on offense because this coaching staff/Mariota are extremely limited.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

How are guys like Wentz, Goff, Watson, or Prescott being put in to these "good to great" categories after 1 good year but Mariota isn't in the same class with 1 good year (last year)?

We've seen dozens of QBs over the past 20-25 years put up 1-2 good seasons, then disappear or be considered scrubs (Matt Cassel anyone?)

To be clear, I'm not suggesting Mariota is "good to great", I'm suggesting every one of those guys is in the remains to be seen category until they've played 3-4 years and repeated their success.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Things have changed a lot in recent years, now teams can only have 15-16 padded practices per year....

The learning kind of stops in TC with this team.. THATs the real problem.

5. Bayou Titan

Bayou Titan Starter

Important to note that Baldy praised MM in tweets that followed. Both for his play down the stretch in the Jags game and plays made last year in KC. He said you want hope for Saturday, it lies in the hands of MM

6. bupac

bupac Starter

Is MM, Mike Mularkey or Marcus Mariota?

7. Bayou Titan

Bayou Titan Starter

Hahaha, that's a pretty be oversight on my part. Marcus Mariota.

8. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

God I hope it's Mariota

9. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Because we live in an age of instant results. We claim rookies are busts or HoF after a few games. And are far to eager to say 'I told you So' after every play (good or bad depending on which side you fall on for a particular player).

We forget that Drew Brees and Tom Brady weren't great from the start, or that Aaron Rodgers sat on the bench for years.

We act as if players can't develop and go through growing pains, that they are who they are after their rookie years.

We don't stop to think how much situation has to do with a players success.

Last year Dak Prescott was a sure fire franchise QB ... this year he has regressed a lot.

Last year Goff was a bust ... this year he is a great QB

RG3 and VY were gonna revolutionize the game, until they didnt.

Alex Smith was a bust, until he wasnt

Manning was a choke artist, until he won 2 SBs

And the list goes on.

1 season does not define a player ... But we sure like to think it does.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

You are referring to the bottom feeders of the sports world. Some people dwell on the misfortunes and failures of others, and the ability to cry about their own misfortunes. Not naming any names, but there are several here.

It's simple. These are college kids playing what is referred to as a different game by NFL players and coaches. They need the proper instruction to make the transition. I believe that where there is a will, there is a way, and that people with the ability and desire will make it regardless of the team they are stuck with. But the length of time at which they come up to speed, and the ability to be put in a position to contribute to the extent of their abilities, is dependent on the coaches.

Our rookies look like they don't know what the hell they are doing, and Mariota obviously isn't in any position to contribute to the extent of his abilities, so our coaches suck. If they stick around, in a few years they may be good enough to overcome this mediocre atrocity of a coaching staff and make things happen.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar