Who's the Titans Starting Runningback?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Jeff gets his rocks off to the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" type plays. Therefore, as long as LenDale is healthy he will get at least 50% of the carries.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

White should get 75% of 1st half carries

then ...... (and thennnnnnnn) Cj gets 75% in the 2nd when he's fresh and the defense is wore down a bit ........ sheeeeee-aa-tttttttt

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I would feature CJ. I never liked Thunder and lightning, because what happens is when you bring in the thunder you become predictable. I liken this to the cowboys use of Jones and Barber. When big dude came in on the goaline, he was usually shut down because the whole world knew what was coming. He'd rumble for 1 yard and done. Too predictable. I think when you switch backs a lot you lose some of your deception and unpredictability. I think CJ should be the feature back, and Lendale should be the super sub. I don't like the idea of goalining Lendale. Whoever starts a drive should finish it. I think both rb's have value. But I prefer a feature back to keep the teams off balance between the pass and run.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't see either being able to carry the load by themselves.

With White having quick feet and being a threat out of the backfield and CJ with the ability to run the ball inside for tough yards, it helps keep the offense from being predictable.

And I think we'll see both in the backfield at times too.

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I can't wait to see LW and CJ in the same backfield. I can see LB's going crazy and everyone pointing at CJ. I love football.

6. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

Just no more LenDale on those 4th and 2 plays...I mean he couldn't convert the 4th and 1 to seal the Rose Bowl for USC back when they were playing VY and Texas :suspect:

7. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

No way. Lendale only get 30% of the carries? He's coming off an 1100 yard sophomore season, how you gonna bench him now because of one decent play by CJ in a preseason game...I'm really excited for this game, but all this ROTY and start CJ talk is waaay premature. Talk about starting CJ after game 4 is he's got 300 yards at that point, not after one preseason game

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Lendale white is our best most consistent option at RB. He starts, he gets at least 50% of all RB carries.

CJ will get about 30% of our carries. The other backs will get about 20%

Last year we had 436 RB carries so that pans out this way.

White-218..14 a game

Johnson...120 7-8 a game

Henry-ganther-cuff 98 6 a game

It won't work exactly like that of course and will vary based on who is hot and how healthy everyone is. I think we are deep enough that even if omar cuff had to take 7-8 carries in a game he will do fine.

Note that 120 carries for johnson is 18 more than chris brown had last year..

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

How long will CJ last if he is getting 10 carries a game and also handling all the 3rd down duties? I think the idea is for him to have fresh legs in the passing game.

Some small backs have been incredibly durable like warrick dunn for example but CJ's running style is different and he will take more direct hits.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

My thought on that is that CJ is a running back, not a WR. If you aren't handing him the ball, then you are wasting what he was brought in here to do. We just differ in philosophy. Fisher may very well use him as a 3rd down back. I actually expect that this year. After watching three years of Conference USA, I just think he's the guy to carry the load.

I don't worry about injuries until after they have happened. Re-curring injuries are a concern. But until we get to that point, I don't worry about them. This is football. It will either happen or it won't. I don't think you can really control the pounding a rb is going to take. And if you did limit carries, you're still only going to get x amount of carries out of rb X and Y anyway. So you either get X + Y for 10 years, or you X for 5 years, followed by Y for 5 years for example. So are you really saving them or not? It's all subjective to your philosophy. I'm a throw back.

I think pitchers should go 9 innings for example. I still find it hard to believe that for 50 years pitchers could throw 20 CG a year and last, and all of the sudden they can't throw 100 pitches and 1 CG. Things have changed, like the curveball, but seriously, it hasn't changed that much. It's just the way I look at it. I look at rb's the same way. CJ in my opinion could have a 15 year career as a feature back if we give him the carries. Let him build up a tolerance. He will 2x stronger by next year anyway. They all get stronger their first year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar