Who's the "safe" pick of the Top 5 ?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Puck, Jan 25, 2006.

?
  1. Reggie Bush

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Matt Leinart

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Vince Young

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. D'Brickashaw Ferguson

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  5. A.J. Hawk

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Even with their credentials there are still some questions about their ability in the NFL. Does Leinart have a strong enough arm? Is Young with his awkward delivery and not having to drop back from center have the ability to make those adjustments. Not to mention there are questions about Young's arm as well.
    Actually, IMO neither of these guys is at the "credential" level of either of the Mannings. Seriously I doubt anyone would trade the combination of picks the Giants traded to get Manning from the Chargers for either of these guys. With that in mind didn't Ryan Leaf get graded out as good as Peyton Manning and there were questions of which one would be the better pro QB? I guess someone could say before that draft that rarely do we see two stud QBs come out of college at the same time with the potential these guys had. That just shows how the hype and glorification of these guys means little considering one is going to the HOF and the other....
    Ryan Leaf was a 6'5 235 pounds. Although Manning ended up being selected first overall by the Indianapolis Colts, there were several draft "experts" that felt Leaf would be the better quarterback. In exchange for moving up one spot in the draft, the Chargers gave Arizona their first round pick (3rd overall), their second-round pick (32nd overall), their 1999 first-round pick, as well as wide receiver/kick returner Eric Metcalf, and linebacker Patrick Sapp.
    Brian Griese was taken in the same draft late in the 3rd round. Matt Hasselbeck was taken in that draft late in the 6th round.
    Move up one year to the 1999 draft. Again we have a couple of "can't" lose QBs. The Browns take Tim Couch to be their savior and impact player. Meanwhile the 2nd pick is booed by the Phily fans as they take McNabb.
    At the 11 and 12 position Culpepper gets taken by the Vikings and the great Cade McNown is snatched up by the Bears. See what I'm seeing. 50% success rate and these guys are early 1st round picks and we have as many duds drafted in the #1 or #2 spot?
    In 2000 Chad Pennington is picked #18 by the Jets (not real high and he turned out pretty good). Two guys picked up in the 6th round as hopefull backups or 3rd string guys were Tom Brady and Marc Bulger.
    In 2001 the number 1 pick was Mike Vick. Vick isn't a bust but if we take Young and he isn't any better passer than Vick I would be dissapointed. Drew Brees was the first pick of the 2nd round.
    2002 was another one of those wonderfull years for QBs. #1 pick was David Carr and the #3 was Joey Harrington. Nuff said.
    2003 we finally get a top 3 QB that is worth a flipp in Carson Palmer who by the way IMO was miles ahead of Leinart and Young when he came out. He is far more pysically gifted than Leinart and is a true NFL drop back QB.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

McNabb is a good example of what a QB can be with and without talented WR's. He's been fairly average until they aquired Owens

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

that may be true for 31 teams in the league
    but not for this one

Reese / Fish don't like taking chances
    (well, except on PacMan)

4. thnom

thnom Camp Fodder

Out of those 5 players, if the titans picked the worst, who would you be most gutted about? Like Kevin Dyson and Randy Moss.

I'd have to say Matt Leinart because he has the most pro ??s like arm strength but he has the poise and stuff which can't be taught.

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

there's something about Matt
    i can't quite put my finger on it

the 2 QB prospects are pretty equally enticing

Vince knows Steve
    Matt knows Norm

I don't think he's gonna be the one to WOW the league, so I wouldn't get quite as upset as I would if we didn't get Vince

6. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

If I had to pick one I'd say D' Brick... Next would come Hawk. Out of Leinhart, Young, or Bush it's really hard to tell. They are all going to crapy teams and that could have a lot to do with what kind of success they have. If you put any QB or on a team with no run game and poor oline than they are going to have problems, especially when they're rooks, and so will young RB's. I'm trying to stay optimistic in thinking the Titans are coming up out of the crappy team catagory but we are what we are. At the same time, if Young or Leinhart got thrown into a situation like Rothlessburger did I think they'd both do very well. Hopefully, who ever the Titans pick will have the best run.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Are we just looking at arm strength? I think most would agree that it takes much more (leadership, mobility, decision-making, etc.) to be among the best at the position.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'd take either if they were CLOSE to doing what Peyton Manning has done. But at the college level, neither Manning took their teams to the level both of these guys have done. Both Manning were not able to win the big games and both of these picks have.

Let's also remember we are getting one of these players at #3. Not #1. That's value.

9. #1TitansFan

#1TitansFan Camp Fodder

I think i change my mind everyday on who we should pick. My most recent decision is that we take a quarterback as our first pick, whether it's Cutler, Leinhart, or Young. We then draft an offensive lineman in the 2nd round. I thought this would be better since you can get a bettter offensive lineman in the 2nd round than you could a quarterback and they would be easier to improve than the quarterback.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

there is some logic in that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar