Who's Now

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by DCtitan49, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Uh ok. So maybe Nike sells a few more golf balls. Whoo! Invest stock quick as golf is an extremely popular sport among the youth!
    His video game is about the only thing that makes him seem marketable. Actually, it is the only thing. Tiger Woods Golf. Something that's actually a sponsor but owned. That's marketability. But he still isn't as marketable as several others right now.
    As pathetic as it is, another guy with zero personality has him beat by a landslide. Manning.
    BigTit - Nike throws away millions on every single hyped up athlete they sponsor. Show them a 7 year old that can hit a shot from 30 feet, and they'll give his family 20 million dollars.
    Tiger Woods is about as marketable as Lance Armstrong. Don't confuse popularity with marketability.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Um ok, I'm gonna guess you are not a golf fan.

Woods was the highest paid professional athlete IN ANY SPORT in 2006 earning in estimates above $100 million from winnings and endorsements combined. Woods is credited with doubling attendence and T.V. ratings for golf.

His endorsments include: General Motors, General Mills, Titleist, American Express, Accenture, Nike, and EA Sports.

Now, I don't know how many more products these companies sell directly because of Tiger Woods.

Certainly golf is much more popular than you make it seem, especially when you consider worldwide golf popularity.

And, consider that many ESPN and business analyst have talked/joked about the idea that Tiger could come out with a "Tiger Tour" to rival the PGA tour. Considering how much draw Tiger alone has at a PGA tour event, if he pulls the best golfers in the world to be part of his tour, it would have a real chance of competing and out-performing the PGA tour.

And, personally, I'm not even a Tiger fan, I'm normally rooting against him.

Still, this should be no competition. Tiger FTW.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Gloat, see the note above, Tiger makes three times as much as Manning. Of course, you'll respond that that isn't the point, but it really is. It all comes down to money. If Tiger is getting paid that much more, then he has to be more marketable. The value is determined by the market, and Tiger is worth more.

4. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

Wow I just seen this.

LeBron has this in the bag. The whole thing..

Hes definitely the most "now"

5. Deuce Wayne

Problem with Golf is, half it's popularity is with 90 year old white guys that hate Tiger Woods. Young people aren't big fans of golf, because it's a game people play once they can't do anything else fun - or when you're trying to be buddy-buddy with your boss.
    Tiger makes the most money. But he's still not marketable, meaning he himself as a sports figure doesn't make people want to buy his product because he's 'cool'.
    Jordan made every kid stick their tounge out when doing something. He made people think it was ok to spend over 100$ on shoes. He made bald heads cool again. He made gatorade more popular. He made it ok to wear Hanes underwear in public.
    What does Tiger do? Really? Nobody is out buying those lame outdated hats he wears. Nobody is sporting Nike polos any more. The only audience that likes the things he does is an audience that probably prefers Mickelson over Tiger anyway.
    Nah'meanz?!

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Clearly, Nike doesn't agree with you. I have a feeling their marketing department has a little more information and experience dealing with this than you do.

Golf's audience is younger than you think. I'm always surprised to see how many people I know have picked it up in the last few years.

The last factor that makes golf more marketable... the average golf audience will spend much more money per person than almost any other sports group.

7. Deuce Wayne

And of course someone uses the old 'well, since they're professional, they know what they're doing more than you' logic. Yeah. I guess so. I mean Bode Miller sure paid off for them as well as many other athletes they threw millions at for the slightest reasons.
    It is a good point that a golfer will spend more money than other athletes. Still, who would buy Nike clubs? Does Tiger use those?

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Gloat give it up you can't argue with the facts and the stats.

9. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

So I guess i'm the only one that does the Tiger fist pump when I make a putt in mini golf?

10. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

If these companies are so dumb, why do they have so much money? Gloat, I take it you aren't in the white collar world. CEO's are making $40M a year. It's a "big boys toys" deal. Company A has Tiger as their market person, so company B wants to get together and talk business. Naturally they do this at the golf course, where most business begins. Now you know company A is going to arrange for Tiger to be there also, and play in that group. So the CEO from company B goes home that night and sits in the bar telling everyone how he played with Tiger today....and that's how "business" is done. You do realize that at most country clubs (if you can even afford or be asked to be a member, the average round of golf costs anywhere from $250 - 2,000), so you are just going to have to concede you don't get it. Guess how many companies own corporate suites at LP Field, and how many guests get invited to drink and eat shrimp? Now guess how many of them actually know or care a football game is going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar